75 P bass Saga

Older is better here. If Kebo has to explain, you wouldn't understand.

75 P bass Saga

Postby Dr. Greenthumb » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:41 am

I came across a Fender 75 P Bass locally that I am interested in, but not sure what its worth cause it is far from original.

Here's the story: The current owner worked at a local music store(Thoroughbred Music) in the 70's. This bass was bought new from them, and 2 years later came back as a trade. It had seen the road, and someone tried to route it out for a Jazz p/u but gave up. The current owner bought it in 77 and had the luthier that worked at the store finish the route correctly, they added DiMarzio P&J pickups, put on Schaller tuners, a BadAss bridge, and a brass nut. The bass was also sanded and refinished with a oak type stain. It doesn't look bad(only seen a small pic), and it comes with the OHSC. Thoroghbred Music is now Sam Ash and the same luthier that did the work, still works there, John O'Boyle. He actually has done some work for me years ago, so I can verify that this guys story is true.

SOOO.....they guy is wanting like 900.00 bucks for this, but to me it sounds kinda high, what do you think is a fair price? Or is that fair?
I am probably gonna check it out this weekend, and maybe make him an offer.

Thanks for the help.
Mike
What if the Hokey- Pokey REALLY IS what it's all about?
Dr. Greenthumb

Re: 75 P bass Saga

Postby steveonbass » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:01 am

IMO, it's really worth the neck + parts so if the neck is a great one figure $500.00ish. If the guard is original (black i would assume) add another $200.00. If it really inspires you, you could get at least that for it if you wanted to bail in the future. Not an investment piece by any stretch. It's inherent value as a player, IMO, is all it's value above $700.00 (and some change).

That being said, as I type, I think that's probably fair if the guard and neck plate are original. If not, I'd offer $700.00. (you know that means you end up at $775 if you counter with $750 so counter with $725 and hopefully, you'll pay $750. Pay cash and push for a case.
peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Postby dukeplaysbass » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:12 am

The refin takes it down, the non-original pickup takes it down, the route for the J takes it down, the non-original tuners take it down. If it is light (they're often very heavy), has the original guard and sounds and plays well, and the J is usable (my old 77 P has a J that is just worthless) then yeah, $700-800 sounds ok, esp with the case included. If it's 11 lbs and sounds like crap, then save your money and go find something else....

My 77 P with the J route sounds damn good with just the P and it's light and plays like a monster -- I did hundreds of gigs with that bass. Of course, it was $250 back in 1992 and some people thought I paid too much for it..... [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]
Father Gino wrote:...back when men were men and basses had four strings.

Check out my site...
dukeplaysbass
Wunkay Wuver

Postby nolabass » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:23 am

I wouldn't do it if you are gonna change anything. If it speaks to you as is then maybe $700. But replacing any original parts will be cost prohibitive. And you never know what you'll have in the end.
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby Dr. Greenthumb » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:41 pm

Thanks for the replys.....If it speaks to me, and plays nice I was gonna start my offerings around 550.00, you never know.

I would keep it as is...hopefully a great player, I would not try to put it back to stock.
Mike
Dr. Greenthumb

Postby nolabass » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:40 pm

I kinda feel any bass that sings in my hands is worth 500-700. A real player that you enjoy and facilitates your expression is hard to come by.
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby Dr. Greenthumb » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:42 am

nolabass wrote:I kinda feel any bass that sings in my hands is worth 500-700. A real player that you enjoy and facilitates your expression is hard to come by.

Well said! [smilie=cool-smiley-027.gif]
Mike
Dr. Greenthumb

Postby Kevin Probass Borden » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:31 am

Heres the dealio - The parts value (if the neck is untouched and the plate is orig) is 900.00 on the button. My shop had a very similar bass not that long ago. We sold it for 729.00 w/an SKB case. Its too far gone for any vinthe value but if its a good player I think this is a good choice.
Kevin Probass Borden

Postby DKWilkins » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:46 pm

Bumpin' an old thread... how'd it turn out?
Ambiguity... What happens in vagueness stays in vagueness
DKWilkins

Postby Dr. Greenthumb » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:38 am

DKWilkins wrote:Bumpin' an old thread... how'd it turn out?

Sorry...hadn't checked in here for a while [smilie=fun_84.gif]

Basically, it never turned out. I was supposed to go see it on a Saturday, but something important came up and I could not go. Called the guy to go on Sunday, but he wasn't available. Tried to go during the week, but he never returned my call. I called twice, no reply, so I never called back and he never called me. He probably sold it.
Mike
Dr. Greenthumb

Return to VINTAGE