Modifying MIJ Fenders

Older is better here. If Kebo has to explain, you wouldn't understand.

Modifying MIJ Fenders

Postby MickeyOne » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:00 am

I have an '89 MIJ P-Bass that I adore and am considering routing for a G&L Bridge. Any thoughts? I find MIJ Fenders to be undervalued. I had no second thoughts about sticking a MFD in it, but that is reversible. Sounds 100% better BTW. I'd love to get your opinions on the bridge routing.
MickeyOne

Re: Modifying MIJ Fenders

Postby dukeplaysbass » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:41 am

Eh...I still see those basses at $400, sometimes less.

Why a G&L bridge, tho? You can put a BadAss on it and not drill anything and get much of the same effect. Yeah, sure, you don't have the intonation lock, but you'll live, I'm sure....
Father Gino wrote:...back when men were men and basses had four strings.

Check out my site...
dukeplaysbass
Wunkay Wuver

Postby felig » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:00 pm

I agree--get a Badass II & you won't even have to warm up your drill, & you won't further "under-value" your MIJ.
felig

Postby kennans » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:27 am

I am a firm believer that basses are tools, not investments, and as such you should do whatever you think will make that tool work better for you. HOWEVER, the problem with routing for a bridge is that you don't get to change your mind, like...ever.

As others have said, there are many choices in aftermarket bridges that won't mean digging holes in the body.
kennans
Road Dog

Postby MickeyOne » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:30 pm

kennans wrote:I am a firm believer that basses are tools, not investments, and as such you should do whatever you think will make that tool work better for you. HOWEVER, the problem with routing for a bridge is that you don't get to change your mind, like...ever.

As others have said, there are many choices in aftermarket bridges that won't mean digging holes in the body.

Thanks for all the advice. I went ahead with it. I just love the G & L bridges and hate the look of the Fenders. Looks great, sounds great.
Attachments
Library - 2203.jpg
MickeyOne

Postby SpankyAndy2 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:03 pm

You forgot to add a G&L Wunkay OMG! switch [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
SpankyAndy2

Postby MickeyOne » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:43 am

[quote="SpankyAndy2"]You forgot to add a G&L Wunkay OMG! switch [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif][/quote]

Please tell me how. This is now my go to bass but I'm often torn between this and my beater L-1000.
MickeyOne

Postby Kevin Probass Borden » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:18 am

FYI - In the future posts like this should go in the FENDER thread. This is not a vintage related post.

Thanks from your freindly neighborhood moderator, KeBo.
Kevin Probass Borden

Return to VINTAGE