Oval Tuners... How early??

Older is better here. If Kebo has to explain, you wouldn't understand.

Re: Oval Tuners... How early??

Postby Kevin Probass Borden » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:07 pm

Davey - GET THIS BASS CHECKED, I'd give ya super bro price to do it it ya want... A slab 12/62 does not make sence, it could but doubtfull. Black on top of this? Wrong parts all over the place? Many mnay things are jumping out at me ESPECIALLY since its black.

It makes no sence that all the parts are changed and its a custom color
The neck makes no sence to me

Also alot of slab era black basses they didnt match the head

Like I said, get it checked
Kevin Probass Borden

Postby DaveyG67 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:12 pm

Cool, one thing that jumps out ..... I thought slabs transitioned to veneer boards in mid summer of 62?

I know, never say never with Fender.

Interesting... beats me... [smilie=coz.gif]

I took one of the Ovals off too, and it appears to have had the period correct Klusons at one time.

Ok, thanks for the info Kebo...
DaveyG67
Sacto Ho

Postby onehandclapping » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:02 pm

Hi
I read here
THE ONLY way to tell if the bass originally had these tuners is to take one off. The holes do not line up with reverse wind Klusons. If you have 1 setta holes, your kosher... Ok, to answer the ???, its late 65.. KeBo

I only joined the forum today ,so here goes [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
You can find on late 65 jazz basses with padel tuners that there are an extra 2 holes per tuner,these were factory drilled for the earlier tuner but were never installed and have not had a screw in them,they are a little smaller.
onehandclapping

Postby Kevin Probass Borden » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:05 pm

Not that I know everything, Ive never seen this. If any you guys have a bass like this can I have a pic for my own education.
Kevin Probass Borden

Postby onehandclapping » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:45 pm

Hi
I have sent 2 to your email at work?
onehandclapping

Postby Kevin Probass Borden » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:18 am

Thanks for the very educational pix. Ya the pix went to my shop.
Kevin Probass Borden

Postby edmonstg » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:16 am

About the fretboard, what I have seen over the years is that slabs are basically phased out as we get into the late summer of 1962. For the remaining months of 62, in some cases overlapping into early 63, slabs on some basses are replaced by veneer boards that are thicker than later veneer boards and these early veneer are often mistaken for slabs. They look slab, and I suppose in a way they are, but then again they're really not.

George
edmonstg

Postby Kevin Probass Borden » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:35 pm

Easiest way to tell venerr vs slab is the truss rod adj screw. If its cut into the board its a slab. If the board smiles over the top its veneer. Also check at the nut.
Kevin Probass Borden

Previous

Return to VINTAGE