1962 Dakota Red Precision on Ebay

Older is better here. If Kebo has to explain, you wouldn't understand.

1962 Dakota Red Precision on Ebay

Postby Dark Horse » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:35 pm

[smilie=smilie_kopf.gif]

1962 PRECISION - DAKOTA RED on Ebay


Really cool (and RARE) old bass. Dakota Red is exceedingly rare on P Basses. I wish the pictures were better so I could "dig into it" a bit more. It looks like the solder joints are unbroken (though it is hard to tell from the pics), which would mean that this wasn't a refin. Looks like it could be a case of the Fender "custom color finish" sprayed over a standard color finish (in this case, Dakota Red over Sunburst, or so it appears). . The neck pocket is odd (used a neck plate to cover pocket ?)...the heel pic looks questionable too, but again, the pic is pretty bad, so it's hard to tell about a respray. If I were truly in the market for a pre-CBS CC P Bass, I'd definitely want more pics, but it definitely looks like a cool bass regardless.

Not affiliated with the seller in any way, but I thought I would post the link for other Precision lovers !
Dark Horse
 
Location: Austin, TX
Links: http://profile.myspace.com/andrewcarrellmusic
http://profile.myspace.com/noellehampton

Re: 1962 Dakota Red Precision on Ebay

Postby Kevin Probass Borden » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:51 am

Few things, REFINS DO HAPPEN WITH ORIG SOLDER JOINTS! Trust me..

Also my boys could make a perfect 50 yr old solder joint..

My bottom line, on ANY e-site negotiate with the seller, have a contract that you will FLY out to see the bass and if it is not as described they pay for the ticket. A ticket is tops 400.00, overnight shipping is 350.00. I do this on EVERY big piece I buy.

I gave up commenting on Ebay pieces. Not that I dont love you guys but being I am a professional I have a liability and more bs goes on there..
Kevin Probass Borden
 

Re: 1962 Dakota Red Precision on Ebay

Postby edmonstg » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:58 am

This was discussed at length on another forum (sorry Kev) and the thread finally tilted toward the possibility of this being a refin. The serial plate shadow in the neck pocket is strange and for me raises the refin flag. However, I'm not totally convinced it is, but if a redo, whoever did the work nailed the color pretty close.

George
edmonstg
 

Re: 1962 Dakota Red Precision on Ebay

Postby felig » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:17 am

Given the poor quality of some of the pictures, a couple of observations:

1. I'm not all that sure that the solder joints look original/unbroken.

2. It looks like an overspray over a sunburst--and it doesn't look like it was a factory overspray. There are several places where it looks like there were some finish chips (look at some of the body close-ups) that are under the color coat--i.e. I don't think the body was all that well prepped prior to the color coat.

3. Again the pictures aren't clear enough to be sure, but my first inclination is that at least some of the neck has been oversprayed.
User avatar
felig
 
Location: Fort Myers, Florida

Re: 1962 Dakota Red Precision on Ebay

Postby Rob Francis » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:45 am

Kevin Probass Borden wrote:Few things, REFINS DO HAPPEN WITH ORIG SOLDER JOINTS! Trust me..

Also my boys could make a perfect 50 yr old solder joint..

My bottom line, on ANY e-site negotiate with the seller, have a contract that you will FLY out to see the bass and if it is not as described they pay for the ticket. A ticket is tops 400.00, overnight shipping is 350.00. I do this on EVERY big piece I buy.

I gave up commenting on Ebay pieces. Not that I dont love you guys but being I am a professional I have a liability and more bs goes on there..


That's awesome advice from someone that knows.
Thanks Kebo!

And Fred I think you're on it there too Bro!
the pockets looks a little ummm 20 year old fresh not 45 :hid:
User avatar
Rob Francis
 

Re: 1962 Dakota Red Precision on Ebay

Postby Dark Horse » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:18 pm

Kevin Probass Borden wrote:Few things, REFINS DO HAPPEN WITH ORIG SOLDER JOINTS! Trust me..


True, but it is far less common, and usually happens with more "recent" refins. Howeever, due to the poor pictures, it is hard to tell much about this bass.

Also my boys could make a perfect 50 yr old solder joint..


The magic of naval jelly. Anyway, again, not too common a skill to have.

My bottom line, on ANY e-site negotiate with the seller, have a contract that you will FLY out to see the bass and if it is not as described they pay for the ticket. A ticket is tops 400.00, overnight shipping is 350.00. I do this on EVERY big piece I buy.


Absolutely perfect advice. I simply pointed out the auction because "if it is indeed a straight bass", then it is a rare one indeed.
Dark Horse
 
Location: Austin, TX
Links: http://profile.myspace.com/andrewcarrellmusic
http://profile.myspace.com/noellehampton

Re: 1962 Dakota Red Precision on Ebay

Postby Dark Horse » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:27 pm

felig wrote:Given the poor quality of some of the pictures, a couple of observations:

1. I'm not all that sure that the solder joints look original/unbroken.

2. It looks like an overspray over a sunburst--and it doesn't look like it was a factory overspray. There are several places where it looks like there were some finish chips (look at some of the body close-ups) that are under the color coat--i.e. I don't think the body was all that well prepped prior to the color coat.

3. Again the pictures aren't clear enough to be sure, but my first inclination is that at least some of the neck has been oversprayed.



Agreed 100% about the pics.

The heel/end of the neck is in question to me because the paint doesn't "look" like a typical Fender smooth job, but again, pics are tough to tell.

Also, hard to tell on the refin over burst being factory or not. Fender used to cut some serious corners to get things out, so it isn't out of the question, but neither is a later refin job.

One thing that sticks out for me, and maybe you guys would care to comment on it - wouldn't a white (mint) guard be more common on a Dakota finished bass, at least one leaving the factory "custom color" ? I typically don't see "stock" Fender custom color basses/guitars (esp reds) with a tortoise guard. The guard in the pics definitely looks to be the original guard though, or at least one from that period.

Again I wonder - why do people that are selling high dollar items have such a difficult time posting decent pictures ? I mean, take 10 extra minutes to shoot good ones...or if you can't do it, pay a friend $20 to take good ones. Use decent light, either steady your hand on an object or use a tripod, and don't post sub-par, blurry pictures.
Dark Horse
 
Location: Austin, TX
Links: http://profile.myspace.com/andrewcarrellmusic
http://profile.myspace.com/noellehampton

Re: 1962 Dakota Red Precision on Ebay

Postby Rob Francis » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:41 pm

I completely agree with the pics comment. If the same people were trying to sell a car for half as much they'd at least clean the dang thing.
Unlessssss.................
User avatar
Rob Francis
 

Re: 1962 Dakota Red Precision on Ebay

Postby Kevin Probass Borden » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:20 pm

I saw the pix and ppfffffffght....... hahahahahahahahahaha
Kevin Probass Borden
 

Re: 1962 Dakota Red Precision on Ebay

Postby Dark Horse » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:48 am

Rob Francis wrote:I completely agree with the pics comment. If the same people were trying to sell a car for half as much they'd at least clean the dang thing.
Unlessssss.................



Exactly. Bad pics are a HUGE red flag right off the bat. Even a guitar that is 100% straight automatically "seems fishy" with bad photos.
Dark Horse
 
Location: Austin, TX
Links: http://profile.myspace.com/andrewcarrellmusic
http://profile.myspace.com/noellehampton

Re: 1962 Dakota Red Precision on Ebay

Postby pbassplayer » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:32 am

custom colors usually had white pickguards,this may have been a factory refin.they would do that if they were unhappy w/ a sunburst finish on a particular piece, (hence the tort guard). apparently this happened quite often.

you would be crazy to buy something like this without a hands on inspection...or a "certified" money back if not satisfied agreement
pbassplayer
 
Location: syracuse ny

Re: 1962 Dakota Red Precision on Ebay

Postby aussiemark » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:58 pm

I love my 2008 Dakota red Precision, props to Mr Bill Nash ....

Image
User avatar
aussiemark
 
Location: Sydney


Return to VINTAGE



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron