What is "Vintage" anyway...

Older is better here. If Kebo has to explain, you wouldn't understand.

What is "Vintage" anyway...

Postby k5koy » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:56 am

I have been on a kick lately of seeking out older American made basses of late. I have 4 beauties that I picked up in the last year. And all 4 of them are made in the '80's. When I think of "vintage" it conjures a vision of the 50's & 60's, but hey, its almost 2011! Would my 80's Basses now be considered Vintage?
1980 Peavey T-40 American Classic
My latest Aquisition, this one is really cool due to the half flamed maple neck, and perfect condition.

1982 Ibanez USAtk
Im not big on red guitars, but this one has grown on me. But its translucent, which kinda makes it ok! Only 500 ever made. Love that curley maple fretboard!

1981 Gibson Victory Artist
I love this thing! A Gibson that feels like a fender. Thats why Gibson made this, to steal some of Fenders market. Didnt really work, so production was very limited. The Artist was the Cadillac of the victory line with active electronics. I was very lucky to find this one in such good shape. Go ahead, try to find one!

198? Robin Freedom II Custom Shop
Perhaps the rarest bass I own. Not a whole lot of info out there about this bass, and Ive contacted the very hands that made it! We know for sure its 80's probably about 89 but not even the Founder of Robin Guitars in Houston knows, but he did remember making it. He told me that it was 1 of possibly 5 custom Freedoms to come out of Houston. All of the rest of the Freedom line were made in Japan by Tokia, and assembled in Houston. I like it!

So, are they Vintage? Probably not yet, But they are all great Basses. And they will be someday! Just try to buy one from me and see what happens!!!

Koy-West Texas

**1982 Ibanez USAtk 4 string Bass
**GIBSON 1981 Victory Artist Bass
**Robin Hybrid Freedom Bass
**1980 Peavey T-40 4 String Bass
**Carvin LB70 Walnut Bass
**Warwick Corvette 4 Standard Hybrid
**Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
**Tradition Fretless Bass
**Ibanez EW20ZW Electric/Acoustic
**Carvin BR510N Combo+Peavey Tour 15
**Carvin PB100-15
k5koy

Re: What is "Vintage" anyway...

Postby steveonbass » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:17 am

Vintage? Why do you care about a Vintage title? The term vintage seems to relate to monetary value. Are you selling them? They aren't monetarily valuable (the Victory could bring a little $$$) but you seem to value them a lot. Vintage Schmintage.
peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Postby k5koy » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:36 am

steveonbass wrote:Vintage? Why do you care about a Vintage title? The term vintage seems to relate to monetary value. Are you selling them? They aren't monetarily valuable (the Victory could bring a little $$$) but you seem to value them a lot. Vintage Schmintage.

Did it seem like I cared about a "Title?" I dont necessarily think "Vintage" means monetary, I think that the term refers more to age. Which is why I asked the question. I could care less what value YOU place on them. They are NOT for sale. I like them, I play on at least one of them daily. Because you dont care one way or another means very little to me. I have gathered them up because I like them, and they please me. Just a little slice of Americana I wanted to share. Perhaps others will enjoy them, and appreciate them for what they are, not what they are worth.

Koy-West Texas
k5koy

Postby Kevin Probass Borden » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:00 am

As stated in my magazine cols many times, and in here - Vintage is nothing more than a moniker for items 25 years or older. NO value applies. Your Peavey is indeed a vintage bass. No snob appeal attached..... Seriously, my next few columns will be based around exactly this stuff... Enjoy!
Kevin Probass Borden

Postby ghiadub » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:44 am

Nice basses there Koy. I did not know Ibanez made any USA basses, or anything for that matter.

Those old Peavey basses are great. The first bass I ever played was a T-40 with tape flats thru a Sunn beta. I was hooked.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby steveonbass » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:42 pm

I wasn't bombing on them. Just stating that the term vintage doesn't mean anything. If you love them, they are awesome.
peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Postby Gil Escalera » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:19 pm

Well Mr. Carson, that's quite a nice looking collection you've rounded up there. I like the way they look with that chez cool Carvin amp. [smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif]

Like was said above, 25 years or older = vintage. Which must make me an antique! [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif]

You still have the Carvin bass?

- Gil
To "B" or not to "B"... that is the question. ;)
Gil Escalera
Global Bouncer

Postby k5koy » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:14 pm

ghiadub wrote:Nice basses there Koy. I did not know Ibanez made any USA basses, or anything for that matter.

Those old Peavey basses are great. The first bass I ever played was a T-40 with tape flats thru a Sunn beta. I was hooked.

Thanks! Yes, Ibanez was also trying to compete with another manufacturer. The Musicman line by Ernie Ball got alot of fanfare early on, so Ibanez threw thier hat into the ring to get some of that action. So out came the ATK line. Pretty innovative too. The USAtk's all had the "Tension Free" necks developed by Dave Bunker. Ibanez contracted with Bunker and then, PCB Guitar Technologies out of Philly to produce them. As I understand it, only 500 were made with both 4 & 5 string versions, so they are pretty rare.
Heres the story if you are interested:
http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuse ... =469632756

Koy-West Texas
k5koy

Postby pbassplayer » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:40 am

those peavey t-40s were a great bass at a great price.they were heavy but well made,just about anyone who has one won't give it up.
pbassplayer

Postby k5koy » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:06 am

pbassplayer wrote:those peavey t-40s were a great bass at a great price.they were heavy but well made,just about anyone who has one won't give it up.

True! Im letting mine loose either. Fact is, its my favorite player. [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]
Koy
k5koy

Postby MickeyOne » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:10 am

steveonbass wrote:I wasn't bombing on them. Just stating that the term vintage doesn't mean anything. If you love them, they are awesome.

Vintage-it's just semantics. It's like the BS words they use on TV. Has anyone noticed how often the word legendary gets thrown around these days? When actor Tom Bosley passed this year, someone referred to him as legendary. Well no disrespect to him but...........don't get caught up in the hype.
MickeyOne

Return to VINTAGE