'65 P

Older is better here. If Kebo has to explain, you wouldn't understand.

Re: '65 P

Postby DaveyG67 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:32 pm

That's good to know Pete... glad I was "semi-wrong"... heheh! [smilie=fun_84.gif]

Michael was pretty much the ONLY guy I would take my basses to if they needed work, plus he made both of my Fenderbirds for me as well.
DaveyG67
Sacto Ho

Postby Kevin Probass Borden » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:38 am

Few things
* Most old basses don't play right for this reason, they haven't been maintained. A proper set up and maintained Pre-CBS bass will walk all over a new counter part. A 50 year old unmaintained Ferrari or toaster won't work right either without maintenance.

* Old stuff in general - As I've written in my column on a few occasions - Old basses are not meant for everyone nor are they right for everyone. There are guys who prefer a 2011 Vette to a 1961 Vette and thats cool and thats ok.

* Your bass - the grey primer = no doubt refin. Even with the Fullerplast underneith its not worth saving the 'plast if you decide to re-refin. Refinning a refin, no big deal and no devaluation. As for not recouping the cost of the refin, that may or maynot be the case. You may get some of it back. I like the mojo, personnally i'd leave it unless A) The finish is poorly done, B) it is dangerous - throwing laquer spliters. If you elect to get it re done, your color choice MAYBE limited. Black has a tendency to sneak into grain and after its stripped A) You cant get it all off or B) It sunk in and it will resurface thru the new finish. This you will need to follow the choice of what the refinner has to say as he has the bass in his hand. Now who to use - There's lots of great guys out there. I LOVE John Scott at Bluesman Vintage. His work is GREAT, he is reasonable and his turnaround is good.

Good luck and enjoy
Kevin Probass Borden

Postby Red Rhino » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:49 pm

Kevin Probass Borden wrote:Few things
* Most old basses don't play right for this reason, they haven't been maintained. A proper set up and maintained Pre-CBS bass will walk all over a new counter part. A 50 year old unmaintained Ferrari or toaster won't work right either without maintenance.

* Old stuff in general - As I've written in my column on a few occasions - Old basses are not meant for everyone nor are they right for everyone. There are guys who prefer a 2011 Vette to a 1961 Vette and thats cool and thats ok.

* Your bass - the grey primer = no doubt refin. Even with the Fullerplast underneith its not worth saving the 'plast if you decide to re-refin. Refinning a refin, no big deal and no devaluation. As for not recouping the cost of the refin, that may or maynot be the case. You may get some of it back. I like the mojo, personnally i'd leave it unless A) The finish is poorly done, B) it is dangerous - throwing laquer spliters. If you elect to get it re done, your color choice MAYBE limited. Black has a tendency to sneak into grain and after its stripped A) You cant get it all off or B) It sunk in and it will resurface thru the new finish. This you will need to follow the choice of what the refinner has to say as he has the bass in his hand. Now who to use - There's lots of great guys out there. I LOVE John Scott at Bluesman Vintage. His work is GREAT, he is reasonable and his turnaround is good.

Good luck and enjoy

Thanks Kebo, and everyone, for your insight, knowledge and recommendations. That's why I keep hanging around here. [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]

The bass is a great player, but I think a little TLC would definitely make it that much better. Love the Vette analogy. This bass will never be my #1, but every now and then I like driving something that's old-school. Everything is still in the planning stages, but I promise to post an update when this is done.

-Alan
"Never wound a foe when you can kill him."

-A Dance with Dragons
Red Rhino

Postby pbassplayer » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:34 pm

jack pidgeon here in syracuse does dead on finishes..his work is second to no one.he is at all the shows.
pbassplayer

Postby Kevin Probass Borden » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:29 am

Jack by far does the best sunburst finish I ever saw. He's a bizniz pal and a truely nice man..
Kevin Probass Borden

Postby Red Rhino » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:28 pm

Brothers & Sisters!

Today we have a reading from the Gospel of Vintage Bass, the book of St. Kebo 19:65. Wherein, it is written...

Kevin Probass Borden wrote:Few things

Can I get an "Amen"?

After letting this project languish, I'd pretty much decided that if I'm not playing it, I should sell it. (There have been some big shifts in my life goals as of late, and I may wind up getting rid of a lot of gear.) But I needed to give the bass a little TLC to get it ready. So I took it to a local luthier and had the electronics repaired, frets leveled, and action set up. WOW! jawdropper What a huge difference! All the fret buzz and intonation issues are gone. The pickups are so hot that I keep looking for the battery to see if the EQ is active, and the single tone control has a ginormous range. Overall, the bass is very rude and aggressive (but in a good way) in-your-face kinda tone, with enough mid-range to slice a watermelon.

I may ultimately wind up selling it, but I think I need to put this one at the top of the rotation for a few months; just to be sure.

-Alan
"Never wound a foe when you can kill him."

-A Dance with Dragons
Red Rhino

Postby GonzoBass » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:17 pm

Red Rhino wrote:Can I get an "Amen"?

Amen!
[smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif]
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer

Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple