Old Fender Musicmaster question

Older is better here. If Kebo has to explain, you wouldn't understand.

Postby dukeplaysbass » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:19 pm

Do any of you guys have an old Musicmaster bass, from around the early 70s?

I'm looking to compare the tuning gears from a Musicmaster from that era with the tuners from a P or J from that era. I'm talking the nickel ones, not chrome.

From what I can tell from pictures, the cloverleaf shafts look shorter. What I'm wondering is whether the gear and tuning peg are interchangable with those found on full sclae P & J basses of the era....
Father Gino wrote:...back when men were men and basses had four strings.

Check out my site...
dukeplaysbass
Wunkay Wuver

Re: Old Fender Musicmaster question

Postby felig » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:24 pm

I've seen several styles of tuners on Musicmaster basses. I had a '78 or so on with cloverleaf tuners that seemed the same as the ones in Ps & Js of the same era, but I no longer own it so I can't confirm it. I've seem others that have smaller, more flimsy appearing tuners.
felig

Postby Mike Childree » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:55 pm

My first bass was a Musicmaster and it had a bent tuner when I got it. Local store replaced it with a different logo Fender tuner and I don't remember any mismatch other than the stamped logo.
Last edited by Mike Childree on Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby Rob Francis » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:16 pm

My recollection is the same as Fred's. Started with normal tuners then switched to less expensive.
Rob Francis

Postby Kevin Probass Borden » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:25 am

T - They had a completely different set of tuners and a different shaft size. Around 77 or so they went to big shafts BUT the entire assembly is different.
Kevin Probass Borden

Return to VINTAGE