Strings for vintage Fender Jazz

Older is better here. If Kebo has to explain, you wouldn't understand.

Strings for vintage Fender Jazz

Postby dukeplaysbass » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:04 pm

I'm looking at strings for mid-60s Fender Jazz. It currently has Dean Markley Blue Steels, that are pretty new and sound pretty good, but overall they're a bit zing-y for my tastes. I kinda prefer the thumpity of the TI SuperAlloys like I have on the Lakie JO4s, and nearly everything else I own.

Whatever I do, I want to make sure not to go super high (or super low) tension. The neck is great as it is on this axe, and I don't want to create problems where there currently are none.

Probably NOT TI Flats (too dead -- I need some bite). So, I'm thinking Jazz Rounds? Or maybe Chromes?

Any suggestions/experience????
Father Gino wrote:...back when men were men and basses had four strings.

Check out my site...
dukeplaysbass
Wunkay Wuver

Re: Strings for vintage Fender Jazz

Postby Bassilisk » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:23 pm

When I first got my 66 Jazz I wanted flats so I put on a set of Chromes. It sounded all right but IMO a Jazz should have rounds on it.
I also don't like strings that are too zingy (I'm not into a modern hi-fi type of tone). What I've found to work very well in that regard right out of the box are DR Extra Life coated strings. You don't have to get a "color" - they make them in silver so it looks "normal" (Silver Stars) - and I found them to be excellent. Not very zingy, great fundamental and they'll still act like rounds when you want more growl. I have them on several of my basses (TBird, Urge II, Trace T-Bass, Warmoth Jazz) and they've become a staple.

I currently have a set of XL Nickels on it (some variety) and they've settled in nicely. I like to roll off the high end about 75% and they sound pretty darn good, but I'll probably go back to the DR's on the next go 'round.

Will
http://www.risky-biz.com

Save the earth. It's the only planet with beer.
Bassilisk

Postby Kevin Probass Borden » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:34 pm

Tris - Your set up w 45-100s on there. Actually I really like Fender strings or the new Dunlops...
Kevin Probass Borden

Postby cripula » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:51 pm

Ok - I'm not stalking you [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif] Did you find something you like? I'm a big fan of John Pearse nickel wound strings, and I never see anyone mention them. They feel great, sound great, are easy on the frets and are a nice, lower (but not SUPER low) tension string perfect for old basses. I run them on a 64P and 66J in 45-100. Great strings.
cripula

Postby bejahu » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:43 am

Kebo hooked me up with a set of Dunlop nickels 45-105, and I really dig them on my vintage Fenders. You might want to give them a shot.

Ben
bejahu

Postby dukeplaysbass » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:40 am

I put a set of TI SuperAlloys on it. I dig them.

I did have, for a minute, a set of Sadowskys. I did not dig those at all.

Will keep Dunlpos and Pearse in mind, tho.....in fact, I'm sorta eyeing the 64 P that landed here for a new flavor.

Hey KeBo, what's currently on that Mighty Whitey 64P -- do you know?

Check out my site...
dukeplaysbass
Wunkay Wuver

Postby nolabass » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:07 pm

I keep strings that are not dead when I take them off and let them age. I am prone to put an old set of rotos or maybe some old Lakland Nickels on a bass or two. It's handy to have sets of strings that are 2-3 years old around.
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby Kevin Probass Borden » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:56 pm

I am SO diggin the Dunlop nickle wounds. Tris has em on his 64p
Kevin Probass Borden

Postby dukeplaysbass » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:13 pm

Kevin Probass Borden wrote:I am SO diggin the Dunlop nickle wounds. Tris has em on his 64p

On Monday, I switched 'em out for a year-old set of TI SA's I had on my Lakie Darryl Jones, but I think the 'Lops are gonna go back on. The SA's are too dead sounding on this bass.....

Check out my site...
dukeplaysbass
Wunkay Wuver

Postby pbassplayer » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:22 pm

i had a 66 j/bass and i used "scaler" strings and really liked them a lot but i can't find them anywhere,they must have gone out of business.
i had some dr rounds on a p/bass and they were good
pbassplayer

Return to VINTAGE