Fender Jazz Body Guard

Older is better here. If Kebo has to explain, you wouldn't understand.

Fender Jazz Body Guard

Postby Bassilisk » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:13 am

The '66 Jazz I got from Kebo had a guard on it from early on - the back is pristine - so I've had an eye out for one. I finally came across this one (the guy said he had it on his '66 J). It's in good shape, though the double stick whatever that held it on is long gone and just as well. It's a perfect fit and I can keep it on just by holding it, no attachment necessary.
The thing is I never saw a white one, always in clear. I believe it's early on because it says PAF. Anyone else see these in white? Were there other colors?
http://www.risky-biz.com

Save the earth. It's the only planet with beer.
Bassilisk

Re: Fender Jazz Body Guard

Postby Kevin Probass Borden » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:19 am

Bill, WOW a PAF!!! Seriously, it looks mid to late 60s because of the logo. Its an interesting itme..
Kevin Probass Borden

Postby nolabass » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:26 am

I've seen black that had a binding vibe to it when view from the front. I always thought they were interesting.
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby Bassilisk » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:21 am

I've seen black that had a binding vibe to it when view from the front.
I have to say this looks pretty cool on the 'burst because it gives exactly that effect - like white binding. I only ever saw clear ones, but I'm diggin' this one. The only thing is it hides that beautiful clean back.
Attachments
66J-BK-FULL_big.jpg

Bassilisk

Postby felig » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:13 pm

I remember seeing one--in its original box--about a dozen years ago. It was for a Jazzmaster or Jaguar, I think. It was sort of a brick red.
felig

Postby pbassplayer » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:15 pm

i have a 1965 "fender facts" flyer announcing the availability of the bodyguard.
in the 1967 price list they are listed at $15 for jazz and p/basses.
available in clear,white,black and red.

i'm really surprised fender or some of the retro parts companies have never made an aftermarket version of these.i always thought it was a great idea,especially if you had a custom paint job or a vintage bass you wanted to keep nice.and w/ the new plastics and technologies it could be done fairly reasonable.

maybe that would be a cool BABP item to conjour up
pbassplayer

Postby Smith Era Fender » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:54 am

The problem with those body guards from the 60's is that over time,the foam would mold to & stick to the finish.Causing a black line to go around the sides of the bass.I dunno if there is an effective way to remove that black line either.I've got a '66 CAR Jazz that had a body guard on it for a long time.It has the typical black line residue from a body guard around the sides of the bass.
Smith Era Fender

Postby Bassilisk » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:17 pm

The problem with those body guards from the 60's is that over time,the foam would mold to & stick to the finish.Causing a black line to go around the sides of the bass.
That's exactly right. At the time nobody thought about how the foam/adhesive would react to the finish. Mine's got that line, but I consider it a more than even trade off to have the back in such great condition. As it is now without the foam it gets stopped by the straplocks at the bout/bottom. But rather than take them off and drill holes in it I think I'll leave it whole. It still looks good and does its job.

i'm really surprised fender or some of the retro parts companies have never made an aftermarket version of these.

I too think these would be a great idea to ressurect. What's $15 in '67 in today's money? I remember thinking as a kid that when I finally got a Fender I would get the guard. I wound up with a '70 Tele and they didn't make one in that shape. I was bummed....

Bassilisk

Postby BCbassman » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:04 pm

I have a clear Jazz bass bodyguard that came on my 1971 Jazz. The problem with them is that besides the foam strip around the edge, dry rotting and welding itself into the finish, the bodyguard acts as a dirt trap for any small piece of grit that happens to find its way in between the bodyguard and the back finish of the bass. You can then be putting small blemishes into the back finish as you play the bass/guitar without knowing it.

They do a fine job of protecting against major belt buckling and scratches, though, but today people are buying new basses and paying extra for belt buckling and scratches and calling them relics! LOL

Bill
I once got a Valentine from a lesbian. It made me wonder if she wanted to start something or just compare notes.
BCbassman

Postby heavyg » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:44 pm

this one is held on by the strap buttons, from 1966
Attachments
23.JPG
heavyg

Postby Kevin Probass Borden » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:51 am

Bill - I have a black 66 Jbass body guard in my personal stash. Want it?
Kevin Probass Borden

Return to VINTAGE