Which modern basses are the vintage guys using?

Older is better here. If Kebo has to explain, you wouldn't understand.

Which modern basses are the vintage guys using?

Postby NickyBass » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:17 am

Hey, I'm new around here, but I've been freinds with Good Guys for a while. Over the years, I've picked up some KILLER basses from Kevin, and never had an issue with gigging them. Hey, basses are meant to be gigged, right? Though, recently I've been looking around at some boutique basses to see what the hub bub was about. There are some great builders with a tone of talent, but there are few who are offering an alternative to pre-CBS Fenders. I've found that there are a few guys who are trying to recreate the classics without mucking up the formula.

Over the last few months, I've been talking with Jimmy Coppolo who seems to have the right head about building basses. I'm digging on the vintage inspired options--Brazillian rosewood board, nitro finishes, air dried old stock lumber, etc.

I was wondering what you guys have been playing. Who are some builders that you think are making a nice simple P-Bass?
NickyBass

Re: Which modern basses are the vintage guys using?

Postby Silverbass » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:25 am

Mike Lull has a vintage style pbass with Brazilian too. I think his wait and price are less than Coppolo.
I really dig Lull's stuff, I don't currently own one because I have a bunch of vintage and rare one-offs of other stuff but I plan to own one some day.
Without AB tests we can tell nothing. AB tests tell us nothing.
Silverbass

Postby steveonbass » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:49 am

vintage guys playing modern basses? Who you callin' vintage? [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]

seriously, I don't like the resale of boutique stuff - if you're gonna shell out that kind of change, why not just put it towards the real thing? I understand your question, I just don't get the boutique market - expensive to buy in and no resale.
peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Postby Silverbass » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:03 am

prismacolor2 wrote:vintage guys playing modern basses? Who you callin' vintage? [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]

seriously, I don't like the resale of boutique stuff - if you're gonna shell out that kind of change, why not just put it towards the real thing? I understand your question, I just don't get the boutique market - expensive to buy in and no resale.

I agree but if I were gigging 4-5 nights a week I might be tempted to get something that would be easier to replace than my '73 jazz.
Silverbass

Postby Freddels » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:05 am

I'd just put together a parts bass from Warmoth. [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif]
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Postby nolabass » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:44 am

I love my USA BG Lakland but play my '66 99% of the time when a P is called for.Image
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby NickyBass » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:36 pm

Haha, I should have phrased the thread title better.

I picked up an Alleva Coppolo KBP4 (P bass) a few months ago and I'm very happy with the purchase so far. Obviously, it won't replace my pre-CBS P basses in my heart, but this bass is something special to be sure.

I haven't done any road work recently, but back when I did, I had a dog of a 73 P bass and I never worried about it. I bought it for $500 from Guitar Center (of all places) and that thing saw alot of nights in a cramped van.

I know that the prices of boutiques are high, but some keep most of their value. The Alleva Coppolos that have popped up used have been snatched up quickly and at a price as close to retail as a used bass can get.

At the end of the day, playing a $2500 bass is still a risk, I suppose. And life is too short not to play the 'real deal' on gigs, but I'm just looking for opinions from other vintage bass players who might have found something that spoke to them.
NickyBass

Postby cripula » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:49 pm

When I work in town I play my oldies. 99% of my work is on the road though, and touring with my vintage stuff finally got too scary. I used a 62RI Precision for quite a while. It was ok, after 4 years of getting played all the time it was starting to feel like something. My solution came in the form of a real 62 Precision that had been refinned, neck over-sprayed, original pickups, and had no original hardware other than MAYBE the bridge plate. My guy re-refinned it with a thin coat of nitro, scraped the goo off the neck (leaving what was left of the original laquer...), and I had the pickups remagnetized. It's now a killer bass, feels and sounds just like a great pre-cbs Fender should, and I'm into it for about what a Custom Shop P would cost. I love it.
Sorry, not a modern bass, but that was my solution, with the 62RI as a backup. I have a great CS55P I would happily tour with too, it's a great bass. I was also very impressed with a US Joe Osborn - sounded very close to a real stack knob J to me. It was heavy though...
Attachments
IMG_1496.JPG
cripula

Postby steveonbass » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:00 pm

Silverbass wrote:
prismacolor2 wrote:vintage guys playing modern basses? Who you callin' vintage? [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]

I agree but if I were gigging 4-5 nights a week I might be tempted to get something that would be easier to replace than my '73 jazz.

For the price of a new US Lakland or Alleva Coppolo you can buy a 73 Jazz - that's my point. The Jazz will be worth more in 5 years and the others about 60% of retail (pretty much the day they are yours). Why not just play the Jazz? I understand that a Pre CBS is a different story because the price swing is extreme. I guess my answer would be to buy a Fullerton 82/83 62 RI. That's the closest I've seen. Those fall in the 2K range and they are appreciating value-wise.
peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Postby nolabass » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:47 pm

I agree Steve. 2K in my hand buys the right 83/84 62 RI Fullerton.
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby andrew » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:32 pm

I'd give my vote to Lakland. I love my Glaub P-bass, and I just got a JO J-bass that I'll be picking up tonight. I've been happy with every aspect of the Lakland's finish, build, comfort and tone. I don't own any pre-CBS basses to compare it to, but I've owned a few 70's J and P basses in my time and still own two 70's P basses. Both are nice basses but the Glaub just feels and sounds so good to me. It's the bass I've been looking for for a while, I wish my hunt for the perfect P bass would've led me to Fender...
That being said, my '73 P is really comfy, a featherweight and sounds great.
andrew

Postby aussiemark » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:36 pm

Another vote here for a Fullerton RI. Bill Nash is another option.
aussiemark

Postby Silverbass » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:04 pm

prismacolor2 wrote:
Silverbass wrote:

For the price of a new US Lakland or Alleva Coppolo you can buy a 73 Jazz - that's my point. The Jazz will be worth more in 5 years and the others about 60% of retail (pretty much the day they are yours). Why not just play the Jazz? I understand that a Pre CBS is a different story because the price swing is extreme. I guess my answer would be to buy a Fullerton 82/83 62 RI. That's the closest I've seen. Those fall in the 2K range and they are appreciating value-wise.

Oh, I guess I wasn't thinking of price as much as I was thinking of rarity. If my '73 goes missing it might be very hard to find another one of it's tone, feel, color condition, etc but if a Lull (or what-have-ya) goes missing you just order another and it will pretty much be the same as the one gone missing.
If you're trying to save money I put in another vote for 83/84 RI Fullerton or a parts bass from USA guitars.
Silverbass

Postby steveonbass » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:02 am

Oh, I guess I wasn't thinking of price as much as I was thinking of rarity. If my '73 goes missing it might be very hard to find another one of it's tone, feel, color condition, etc but if a Lull (or what-have-ya) goes missing you just order another and it will pretty much be the same as the one gone missing.

I disagree with that statement - A particular lakland, lull, anything can be deadly or a complete dog - same with old Fenders.
peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Postby harleyyy » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:07 am

prismacolor2 wrote:

I disagree with that statement - A particular lakland, lull, anything can be deadly or a complete dog - same with old Fenders.

A deadly refinned Fender is always a great and more affordable option.
"I try to keep 'Thou shalt not kill.' The rest of them I'm kind of shaky on." Willie Nelson
"Forget The Drama, Shut Up And Play." ME

Mr Meanor on Facebook
harleyyy
Host Of Your Forum

Links: http://badassbassplayers.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/BadAssBassPlayerscom
https://www.facebook.com/MrMeanorBand
http://wwwwww.tonewavetech.com

Next

Return to VINTAGE