Which modern basses are the vintage guys using?

Older is better here. If Kebo has to explain, you wouldn't understand.

Re: Which modern basses are the vintage guys using?

Postby Silverbass » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:09 am

prismacolor2 wrote:
Oh, I guess I wasn't thinking of price as much as I was thinking of rarity. If my '73 goes missing it might be very hard to find another one of it's tone, feel, color condition, etc but if a Lull (or what-have-ya) goes missing you just order another and it will pretty much be the same as the one gone missing.

I disagree with that statement - A particular lakland, lull, anything can be deadly or a complete dog - same with old Fenders.

Yeah I here yah but I've never played a Lull I didn't like though. I guess losing a bass no matter what it is would suck I just tend to think it would suck more if it were vintage.
Without AB tests we can tell nothing. AB tests tell us nothing.
Silverbass

Postby harleyyy » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:12 am

Silverbass wrote:

Yeah I here yah but I've never played a Lull I didn't like though.

Me either. I was 3 for 3 when I had 3. [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]

"I try to keep 'Thou shalt not kill.' The rest of them I'm kind of shaky on." Willie Nelson
"Forget The Drama, Shut Up And Play." ME

Mr Meanor on Facebook
harleyyy
Host Of Your Forum

Links: http://badassbassplayers.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/BadAssBassPlayerscom
https://www.facebook.com/MrMeanorBand
http://wwwwww.tonewavetech.com

Postby steveonbass » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:19 am

harleyyy wrote:
Silverbass wrote:

Yeah I here yah but I've never played a Lull I didn't like though.

Me either. I was 3 for 3 when I had 3. [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]

Yeah, but one always floats to the top.
peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Postby Smith Era Fender » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:40 am

Due to the values of vintage Fenders skyrocketing I don't gig out with my vintage pieces anymore.As others have said,the early 80's Fullerton RI's are a great choice.I've got 3 Fullerton RI's.IMO the Fullerton RI's are the closest thing to Pre-CBS without being Pre-CBS(I know many others agree)Problem is the Fullerton RI's are going up so much in value I don't even want to take 'em out anymore either.

A great choice for an everyday beater/gigger is a Fender Classic 50's P-Bass.I had one in Fiesta Red.It was a great gigging bass.However the gaudy Fiesta/orangish color wore on me-so I sold it.Had it been a different color I would have totally kept it as a main gigger.You can pick these up for under $500 on e-bay.All the parts/hardware are USA made anyway.From what I understand the necks on the MIM's are still made in Corona & then shipped to Tacoland(LOL!) for final finish & assembly.Best bang for the buck bass out there IMO.

This past year I picked up a few used giggers that I now take out to the gigs.They work fine & I don't have to worry about 'em like I would my vintage pieces.

2000 USA '62 RI Jazz -swapped out the stack knob for a 3 knob set up.Also swapped out the original PU's for Seymour Duncan SJB-1's.

2004 USA '62 RI Precision Oly w/Tort.Stock.

3 weeks ago picked up a black 2000 MIM Jazz Bass for $149.Normally I wouldn't buy something like this but couldn't pass on it for that price.Swapped in the USA RI PU's & put in the stack assembly from the USA RI.Sanded off the MIM label on the H-stock(LOL!)Then put a tort guard on it(sort of a poor man's RI at this point).It's actually not a bad bass for what it is.I now take this one along in a gigbag just as a spare for the gigs.
Smith Era Fender

Postby steveonbass » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:56 am

I gig all my vintage stuff - it's all i have. I won't take my bird to a crowded bar but that's my only rule.

I have a 77 Ibanez Silver Series maple-cap P Bass that I bought to use as a road-dog bass but I always end up taking the wife with me.
Road-Dog
peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Postby Silverbass » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:15 am

Don't get me wrong the '73 was going to all my gigs until one of the pickups went micro phonic. Once I get it rewound it'll go back to the top of the pile. It even weighs more than all my other basses and I still like it more.
Silverbass

Postby andrew » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:26 am

prismacolor2 wrote:
Oh, I guess I wasn't thinking of price as much as I was thinking of rarity. If my '73 goes missing it might be very hard to find another one of it's tone, feel, color condition, etc but if a Lull (or what-have-ya) goes missing you just order another and it will pretty much be the same as the one gone missing.

I disagree with that statement - A particular lakland, lull, anything can be deadly or a complete dog - same with old Fenders.

I disagree with that statement [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif] - the consistency on Lakland and Lull is much higher than Fender was in the 70's (or perhaps ever). Your odds of finding a Lakie or Lull that plays and sounds as nice as the one you're theoretically replacing are much higher than finding a Fender with the same feel and sound.
andrew

Postby Smith Era Fender » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:26 am

"I gig all my vintage stuff - it's all i have."

Totally hear ya-Up till about 9 months ago I used to be the same way.Until one night one of my strap buttons on my Fullerton '62 RI P came off during a gig.The bottom of the bass slammed into the stage.Of which I thought I only dinged up the bottom of the body.Which was no big deal.Vintage basses should have battle scars!

That was until the next morning when I inspected the bass at home only to find that there was now also a crack in the neck by the truss rod.Which just devalued that bass by $800-$900.The bass still plays fine as-is but I'm still not happy with what happend and am not going to let something like that happen again.IF that happend to one of my 4-5K re-fin Pre-CBS I'd be suicidal.

Within 10 mintes I searched Gbase,made a call & bought a used 2004 RI P.For some real dives I play,it's just not worth risking taking out a big $$$ bass.Just to make $60-$100 in some bar.The new RI(while not vintage)is perfectly fine for those applications.For the road gigs it's even more essential that I take the new RI's.Just not worth the risk to me anymore.......

That said,I'm still very much a vintage Fender guy.Totally play the vintage basses all the time at home,for rehearsals & for recording sessions,etc.
Smith Era Fender

Postby Silverbass » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:38 am

andrew wrote:
prismacolor2 wrote:

I disagree with that statement [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif] - the consistency on Lakland and Lull is much higher than Fender was in the 70's (or perhaps ever). Your odds of finding a Lakie or Lull that plays and sounds as nice as the one you're theoretically replacing are much higher than finding a Fender with the same feel and sound.

Yeah, that was my point. With everything made on CNC, Pleked and what-have-ya they are pretty consistent.
Silverbass

Postby steveonbass » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:56 am

I owned two Lakland Osborns. Both US. One had "it" in spades, one didn't have "it" at all. I've played great Lulls and ones that completely sucked. Build quality and consistency of finish were excellent on all these basses. It was the resonant frequency of all the parts that was dead. Basses that are made of wood will all resonate differently - regardless of consistency.
peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Postby bejahu » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:17 pm

I am a big fan of Roger Sadowsky's basses. Great tone and solid build quality. A nice alternative to bringing an expensive vintage Fender on the road.

Ben
bejahu

Postby Kevin Probass Borden » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:22 pm

Hey Nicky, twice in one day! Glad to have ya.. Nick, You have the DEADLY Pensa, what more do you need! I have another Pensa J, A Lakland 4/94, and a Spector NS2. My main "nice gig bass" is a Warrior I had custom built, I'm an endorsee courtesy of my bro JD. My fave is the Warrior. For a general bar gig I have the Pensa and the Lak in tow..
Kevin Probass Borden

Postby NickyBass » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:43 am

Kevin Probass Borden wrote:Hey Nicky, twice in one day! Glad to have ya.. Nick, You have the DEADLY Pensa, what more do you need! I have another Pensa J, A Lakland 4/94, and a Spector NS2. My main "nice gig bass" is a Warrior I had custom built, I'm an endorsee courtesy of my bro JD. My fave is the Warrior. For a general bar gig I have the Pensa and the Lak in tow..

Kevin, I'm glad to hear everything is going well. I have a few things that I'm trying to iron out right now, so I may be in touch in the next month.
NickyBass

Previous

Return to VINTAGE