Playing in a trio

It's all about the stage, groove, recordings, events, videos, solos and chops right here.

Playing in a trio

Postby thesandman » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:31 pm

So the 5 piece I was in broke up yesterday. Today I landed in a trio. We play classic rock, the same stuff I've been playing for years. Do you play differently in a 3 piece? I will understand a little better after we practice next week, but any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Tony
thesandman

Re: Playing in a trio

Postby Mike Childree » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:50 pm

Trio is my favorite format, by far. I definitely play busier, especially in sections where the guitarist plays lead breaks. Lotsa fun, though.....you can pretty much pull out all the stops...chords, ghost notes, etc. Let your ears be your guide...you'll hear when you need to fill space.....or when to leave it. As in all things, what you DON'T play is the most important. Serve the tune, in the end.
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby jfh2424 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:16 am

My approach to trios used to be to play busier. But then I listened to the tapes...

I found that playing in a trio really, really exposes the bass. The most important thing I had to get used to is to hear and accept the room that the bass had in the band. I found that what sounds good is not so much to play more, but to play really really solid. Everything you do is exposed and whatever mistakes you make will come screaming out. Conjointly, when you are solid and your rhythm is right on, that comes flying out to the listener too. And that is a thing of beauty.

Also, get ready for the comments of the other guys in the trio. They are not used to hearing the bass in that context and are not used to the bass being one third of the instruments in a band. They will have comments.

Good luck, let us know how it went!

John
jfh2424

Postby thesandman » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:36 am

Thanks John, but as things go, the trio is over before it ever started. The other two guys decided to pick up another guitar. But, it's cool, as he's a great guitarisr and a cool guy to boot. He was part of the Gainesville gang that turned out Tom Petty. He was in a band that toured the country back in the day, and "almost" made it big. So, I'm back to the pocket, which isn't really a bad place to be. Playing with these cats will be cool. We'll be able to pull off some fun tunes.
thesandman

Postby GonzoBass » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:19 am

I might be late with this,
(glad things worked out for you)
but I'll toss in my 2 bits on the subject any way...

Trio is my favorite way to go too
(or 3 + a singer)
and not only because there's less of a money split.
[smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]

I'll use two schools depending on the tune:
Busier as mentioned
or longer notes to fill.

Also,
if in a cover tune situation,
listen to the rhythm guitar part on the original
and cop what you can either directly play or imply.
Especially during solos.

Tone wise, I use a bit more highs/high mids along with my lows
to cover more sonic range.
Again, especially during solos.

Have a word with the guitard too.
Chances are he could adapt his style a bit to help out.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer

Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple
Xavier Custom 6 String
Ibanez AEB10K Acoustic
Dean Rhapsody 8 String
Carvin BK2A Fretless
Gibson EB3 (Project)
Epiphone Newport EBS
Synsonic Half Scale
Fender Mandolin
A couple Flea Ukuleles
and a few guitars...

Rigs:
Small-
GK MB112 combo
Medium-
GK MB500
GK 2x10 Neo
Large-
GK 1001 Mark II 2x10 combo
GK 1x15 RBS

Effects:
Line 6 Bass POD XT Live
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer

Postby thesandman » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:24 am

Thanks Gonzo, I'm sure there will be times when one guitarist won't show, so all the tips are apreciated.
Tony
thesandman

Postby thesandman » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:43 pm

Wow, i forgot about this thread. The fourth band member didn't work out. So it's a trio after all. We played our first gig this weekend, at the legendary "Dub's". It's where Tom Petty got started in Mudcrutch. The room has great sound. It was a lot of fun. We had our moments, good, and not so good, but overall, it was a good weekend. There were times where I stretched out some when we needed space filled, and times where we all pulled back to let things have some space.

My Mesa 400+, which usually has headroom to spare, had a lot of grit. I couldn't get a clean sound, and the first night I was kind of boomy. Maybe it was the stage. I've got a lot to learn.

The trio was really nice at the end of the night when we got paid. [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]
thesandman

Postby GonzoBass » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:25 am

thesandman wrote:The trio was really nice at the end of the night when we got paid. [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]

Amen to that!
[smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif]
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer

Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple
Xavier Custom 6 String
Ibanez AEB10K Acoustic
Dean Rhapsody 8 String
Carvin BK2A Fretless
Gibson EB3 (Project)
Epiphone Newport EBS
Synsonic Half Scale
Fender Mandolin
A couple Flea Ukuleles
and a few guitars...

Rigs:
Small-
GK MB112 combo
Medium-
GK MB500
GK 2x10 Neo
Large-
GK 1001 Mark II 2x10 combo
GK 1x15 RBS

Effects:
Line 6 Bass POD XT Live
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer

Postby froover » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:34 pm

almost all of my bands have been trios/quartets with only one guitar drums and me

probly the simplest way to describe what i do is i think more in a "rythymguitary" way than i probly would otherwise

for me thats higher register root notes, major thirds and fifths doublestops and just generally trying to be more sonically dense for want of a better term

cheers
Lucy
However, at the end of the six months they decided to keep Judy on, so Sharon got pushed down a flight of stairs and Judy was given a pacemaker
froover

Postby nolabass » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:24 pm

These guys covered it. I might reiterate playing solid under solos. I never take chances and play every note with a beginning and an end. I focus all my energy's into playing as perfectly as I can. It's much harder to play clean and simple and still make it interesting. I still play more but I do not take a chance on the type lick I get on a good night and clam on a mediocre night. Solid, solid solid. I also dig in a little harder for bigger better tone.
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby Floyd Eye » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:06 pm

Until very recently when my drummer departed and I added a 2nd guitar and a new drummer, I have always had 3 piece bands. That's a lie though, I have played in 4 and 5 piece bands occasionally, but they were never "My" bands. I very much prefer only having one guitard. It can be challenging with a lot of the music I play ( primarily 90s and newer hard rock), but I make good use of pedals and I seem to have a knack for covering the extra space left by the lack of a dedicated rhythm guitarist. The one downside is when I started playing with a more traditional 5 piece band ( although Hellbilly really isn't traditional) it was an adjustment for me to simply play bass, but then I wasn't doing any singing on that project either so the whole thing was strange. I think it made me grow as a bassist though and the gear schlepping was far easier.
Last edited by Floyd Eye on Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Floyd Eye

Postby nolabass » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:24 pm

Welcome Floyd Eye.
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby Floyd Eye » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:15 pm

Thank you very much. [smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]
Floyd Eye

Postby ghiadub » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:25 am

I recently joined a trio situation. I really dig the room to mess around with. Luckily the guitar'd is aware enough of modes to where if I hit some harmonically defining notes he can adjust some chord tones to cover me. I will return the favor of course. It makes the open parts of the tunes a little experimental.

Jazz cats do this all the time, but not so much in rock. Its really fun to have to listen and adjust things.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Return to PERFORMANCE