Musician vs. Entertainer

It's all about the stage, groove, recordings, events, videos, solos and chops right here.

Musician vs. Entertainer

Postby ReneGiust » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:29 am

People listen with their eyes.

Like it or not, they do.

Musicians don't. The good ones use their ears more than their fingers.

Here's a question: Have you, the musician, ever struggled with you, the entertainer?

That is, in a "business" setting - where you're getting paid pretty good money and it's part of the job expectation - to put on a "show", do you ever consciously focus more on your visual presentation over your tone, touch, time, or other musical qualities?

Honestly.

I'm not talking about where you're so INTO the musical zone that that becomes your visual presentation. No. I'm talking about actually shifting your mental and physical thoughts to your visual presentation during your performance to the point where you KNOW your musical qualities are suffering some.

Do you feel a conflict?

Or just happy?

Thoughts?
Rene Giust

"When it's all said and done, P basses and cockroaches will roam the Earth." - Harleyyy
ReneGiust
Bouncer

Re: Musician vs. Entertainer

Postby Mike Childree » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:56 am

Absolutely yes...I've sacrificed musical precision in favor of entertaining presentation most of my musical career. Once I matured enough to be honest with myself and accept the fact that I am a player with simply average ability, and that pleasing a crowd is more enjoyable to me than pleasing other musicians...it was an easy call to make. I make no apology for it, either.
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby ghiadub » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:51 am

Honestly I never even think about it. I dance around a bit when I play if the music is dance music and I am "feeling it" but for the most part I hang in the back with the drummer and stick to being as solid as I can to provide the musical foundation for the horn section (they do have some stage dance moves).

We also have a couple of ladies that come to gigs as dancers, that is their job and if they are doing it nobody is looking at the band. (no I don't have pics but I will get some at the next gig)
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby steveonbass » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:11 pm

I will try and be an entertainer but only after my criteria is met for myself as a player. My gigs are all very different - some inspire dramatic poses and others, not so much.
peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Postby Mike Childree » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:34 pm

I should clarify that my "sacrifices" have been willingness to play popular music and pretend to enjoy it even when I didn't. I'm not much for stage antics, outside the frequent smart-ass remark between tunes.
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby aussiemark » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:28 pm

Mike Childree wrote:Absolutely yes...I've sacrificed musical precision in favor of entertaining presentation most of my musical career. Once I matured enough to be honest with myself and accept the fact that I am a player with simply average ability, and that pleasing a crowd is more enjoyable to me than pleasing other musicians...it was an easy call to make. I make no apology for it, either.

+1

If people want to listen to great musicians, they stay at home and play some CDs. They pay money to have a night out and see a live band because they want to be entertained.
aussiemark

Postby Rob Francis » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:47 pm

aussiemark wrote:
Mike Childree wrote:Absolutely yes...I've sacrificed musical precision in favor of entertaining presentation most of my musical career. Once I matured enough to be honest with myself and accept the fact that I am a player with simply average ability, and that pleasing a crowd is more enjoyable to me than pleasing other musicians...it was an easy call to make. I make no apology for it, either.

+1

If people want to listen to great musicians, they stay at home and play some CDs. They pay money to have a night out and see a live band because they want to be entertained.

'Zactly!!!
When you play you are an entertainer.
Frankly I get a little weary about people pissing on their audience requests etc. I mean WTF! If you're not there to make them have a good time you can stay home and practice (like I do [smilie=tosser.gif] )
Rob Francis

Postby GonzoBass » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:26 pm

That's show biz!
[smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer

Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple
Xavier Custom 6 String
Ibanez AEB10K Acoustic
Dean Rhapsody 8 String
Carvin BK2A Fretless
Gibson EB3 (Project)
Epiphone Newport EBS
Synsonic Half Scale
Fender Mandolin
A couple Flea Ukuleles
and a few guitars...

Rigs:
Small-
GK MB112 combo
Medium-
GK MB500
GK 2x10 Neo
Large-
GK 1001 Mark II 2x10 combo
GK 1x15 RBS

Effects:
Line 6 Bass POD XT Live
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer

Postby shamus63 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 pm

I used to be preoccupied with "entertaining" the audience, posing and shit.

Now I just focus on keeping everybody else in line. [smilie=fun_84.gif]
"Don't play it if you don't feel it." - James Jamerson
shamus63

Links: Basses:
Epiphone Thunderbird IV
'84 Squier Japan Precision
Yamaha BB300

Rig:
Ampeg B2-RE
Ampeg SVT-410HLF
=o7o

Postby moe monsarrat » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:21 am

If you're a front man, like myself, playing well is a prerequisite to the rest of the job, which is entertaining. You simply cannot sit there and gaze at your shoes all night and expect them to be entertained. Does the music suffer? I hope not, but mistakes are sometimes.......entertaining!!! [smilie=fun_84.gif]
"I-Mon drive de bus. Dem guitar players jus' ridin' in it!"
moe monsarrat

Links: Endorsers: Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
Bassist/Vocalist/Composer/ Producer
Stop The Truck-www.stopthetruck.com
The Mau Mau Chaplains-www.maumauchaplians.com
Freddy Powers-www.freddypowers.com
Sonny Throckmorton-just google him
The Lotions

Postby Jerry » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:12 pm

I usually work for front people that are the main attraction, most people could care less about the bassist, suits me just fine.
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Postby nolabass » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:17 pm

Not so much into the entertainment side...like Jerry I tend to work backing up the entertainer. But in my college days marching drum and bugle corp was a nice split of field moves, flash and musicality.
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby GonzoBass » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:04 am

So many restaurant gigs lately
(and I'm not complaining)
but we are musical wallpaper.

We sit on stools/chairs,
let the music do the talking
and our "applause" is in the tip jar.

Like I told the current guitarist when I recruited him,
"It's a great gig once you get use to being totally ignored."
[smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]

I have started wearing a tie.
If that counts for anything...
[smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif]
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer

Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple
Xavier Custom 6 String
Ibanez AEB10K Acoustic
Dean Rhapsody 8 String
Carvin BK2A Fretless
Gibson EB3 (Project)
Epiphone Newport EBS
Synsonic Half Scale
Fender Mandolin
A couple Flea Ukuleles
and a few guitars...

Rigs:
Small-
GK MB112 combo
Medium-
GK MB500
GK 2x10 Neo
Large-
GK 1001 Mark II 2x10 combo
GK 1x15 RBS

Effects:
Line 6 Bass POD XT Live
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer

Postby Jerry » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:00 am

It's like the fisherman bumper sticker applied to bass, "my worst day gigging is better than your best day working" or something like that. [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Postby moe monsarrat » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:32 pm

I lived in Hawaii for many years. Played a lot of restaurants, poolsides, luaus, military clubs & nightclubs. I lived in the woods near Haleiewa. [smilie=cool-smiley-027.gif]
"I-Mon drive de bus. Dem guitar players jus' ridin' in it!"
moe monsarrat

Links: Endorsers: Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
Bassist/Vocalist/Composer/ Producer
Stop The Truck-www.stopthetruck.com
The Mau Mau Chaplains-www.maumauchaplians.com
Freddy Powers-www.freddypowers.com
Sonny Throckmorton-just google him
The Lotions

Return to PERFORMANCE