Which side of the drummer?

It's all about the stage, groove, recordings, events, videos, solos and chops right here.

Which side of the drummer?

Postby Happy Face » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:55 pm

yeah, sort of a lame-O topic, but it came to mind this weeknd while I sit and work on a writing a project (much to my wife's delight).

I play music through headphones and notice I swap 'em around so that the bass comes in through the left ear. Not sure why, but that feels natural. Got me thinking (as if I needed another excuse not to work) about which side of the drummer I've mostly played on. I realized that since high school, it's always been to his right. So I'm turned with my left ear to the amp when i'm not singing. Must be it.

( Not all good since I recall during my draft physical my left ear had already lost some bass response. And that was 1973! Of course, I've not had it checked since.... what you don't know....)

Anyway, curious if any of you have a preference.....
Happy Face

Re: Which side of the drummer?

Postby aussiemark » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:28 pm

I know it's the de facto standard to be on the drummer's left (so you can hear the snare, yada yada yada), and that's where I am most of the time, but I actually prefer to stand on their right because I find it's easier for me to turn slightly to my left to have eye contact with the drummer when needed. If I'm standing on the left and turn to the right then I can't keep an eye on what my left hand is doing.
aussiemark

Postby harleyyy » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:01 pm

Left side, but only to have the kick drum foot (or feet), in view.
"I try to keep 'Thou shalt not kill.' The rest of them I'm kind of shaky on." Willie Nelson
"Forget The Drama, Shut Up And Play." ME

Mr Meanor on Facebook
harleyyy
Host Of Your Forum

Links: http://badassbassplayers.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/BadAssBassPlayerscom
https://www.facebook.com/MrMeanorBand
http://wwwwww.tonewavetech.com

Postby Jerry » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:50 pm

Most of my life it was mostly on the drummers left, it just always seemed to be a little more room there. But, my main gig these days, I'm on the right because I really have to keep a eye on the leader.
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Postby randall » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:04 pm

I prefer the right. I can see the drummer, and the guitar player's hands on that side if he's to my left. A rightie guitar player only has to turn a few degrees to let me watch his changes.
06 Lakland Glaub w/ DS, 85 G&L SB-1, 94 Mexican P
G&K 800RB, Ampeg B-15, Peavey Micro Bass
randall

Postby shamus63 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:23 am

High-hat side. I always lock-in better when I've got the high-hat within a couple of feet of me.
"Don't play it if you don't feel it." - James Jamerson
shamus63

Links: Basses:
Epiphone Thunderbird IV
'84 Squier Japan Precision
Yamaha BB300

Rig:
Ampeg B2-RE
Ampeg SVT-410HLF
=o7o

Postby Mike Childree » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:33 am

Left side if I'm playing electric bass, for all the reasons above....plus I can keep my headstock from hitting anything if I turn inward to the right. If I'm playing upright, I like to set up on the right so I can see inward without turning.
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby hmagman » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:09 am

shamus63 wrote:High-hat side. I always lock-in better when I've got the high-hat within a couple of feet of me.

Yep, high-hat side...
Harry
hmagman

Postby ghiadub » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:40 am

I have a strong preference for the drummers right side because I like to see him and my neck in the same view. Seeing his bass drum beater is good if I cannot hear the bass drum so great.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby jshilgebass » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:50 am

I'm a switch-hitter. [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]

I've never really had a preference as to which side of the drummer to stand and play. It's seems to depend on the set-up environment at the time of the gig....in short, I put my rig where there's room for me. I tend to listen for the overall "beat" of the band as a whole, and get cues from the strumming of the guitar, the stick movement/high-hat motion/bass pedal foot of the drummer, keyboard chord comping, etc. I guess I rely (slightly) more on my ears than I do visual cues.

Joe Hilgeman
jshilgebass

Postby Mr. Mom » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:43 am

I'm with Joe. Don't matter to me none. Just set me up where there's a lttle elbow room for me.

And it's not a lame-o topic at all, IMO.
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby Gil Escalera » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:09 pm

Typically... the LEFT side. I play drums right handed [when I played drums] as do most drummers. Most time is spent on Kick/Snare/High-Hat which puts your head looking slightly angled to your left. It's easier, and more comfortable, to make eye contact with the bassist when he's on your left; at least it was/is for me. This is important for timing. As a bassist, I too like having a good HH for following the drummers meter and having a good visual shot at the kick pedal/foot. For these reasons I prefer the left.

- Gil
To "B" or not to "B"... that is the question. ;)
Gil Escalera
Global Bouncer

Postby hoytbasses » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:48 pm

doesn't matter to me : as long as I can make eye contact with the drummer. In all honesty, over the last ten years or so, I'm so attuned to the drummers I work with that I sort of instinctively lock in with what they're doing and vice versa without much thought at all...... It's shocking when i come up with some kind of run or turnaround and the drummer is right there locked in with me, or if he takes a walk around the kit, i'm there with him....... no thought involved, just feeling it. That's fun!
There's nothing Passive about Passive pickups!
hoytbasses

Postby GonzoBass » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:44 pm

Stage left, please.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer

Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple
Xavier Custom 6 String
Ibanez AEB10K Acoustic
Dean Rhapsody 8 String
Carvin BK2A Fretless
Gibson EB3 (Project)
Epiphone Newport EBS
Synsonic Half Scale
Fender Mandolin
A couple Flea Ukuleles
and a few guitars...

Rigs:
Small-
GK MB112 combo
Medium-
GK MB500
GK 2x10 Neo
Large-
GK 1001 Mark II 2x10 combo
GK 1x15 RBS

Effects:
Line 6 Bass POD XT Live
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer

Postby Happy Face » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:14 am

Good point on being next to the high-hat. In the band I was in before the current one, the drummer was a lefty! So that's why I was on the right...!
Happy Face

Next

Return to PERFORMANCE