Popped The URB Cherry!!

It's all about the stage, groove, recordings, events, videos, solos and chops right here.

Popped The URB Cherry!!

Postby Mr. Mom » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:21 am

Had my first gig last with with my new (new and first) upright!

Used it on the dinner set of a holiday party gig. Some very "standard" standards and some easy holiday tunes. Overall, I can't complain. I mean, don't get me wrong: I sucked, for sure! Left hand postion was pitiful and the G string went out of tune and had very little luck trying to compensate. But I did it and we all got paid and it was a blast!!

Just thougth I'd share.

And thanks to everybody with the great advice on pickups/preamps down in the Amps Forum! The Fishman Full Circle is going to work great! My ART Tube MP direct box worked well enough, but am going to have to get a "real" pre for the future.
Last edited by Mr. Mom on Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Re: Pooped The URB Cherry!!

Postby Freddels » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:54 am

Congrats!

What are you using for strings? Steel strings tend to stay in tune quite well. Guts . . . well . . . that's another story.

If they're soft steels like Obligatos, try tugging on the strings pretty good to stretch them out a bit.
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Re: Popped The URB Cherry!!

Postby Mr. Mom » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:45 am

LOL!! Title corrected!!

No idea on the strings. The band I'm in tunes down a half step and I forgot about it until I got to the gig. The bass did not take to a sudden half-step tune down on short notice!

Strings are on my short list for things to buy. But have not even begun researching them.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby Freddels » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:41 am

On strings, I'd suggest Spirocore Weichs. They're steel, lightweight gauge (so they're easy on the fingers), and stay in tune pretty well. You could drive yourself crazy and into the poor house on strings.
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Postby Rhian Batson » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:11 am

One of the best amplified URB tones I ever heard was this guy jamming a split P pickup mounted by the bridge IIRC through an vintage V4B+2x10. Deep and beautiful sounding, very lush and warm w/o the midrange bark-i-ness I often hear from players around town. My wife has been bugging me to buy an URB and learn (lol go figure - I guess she likes it). If and when I have the time to dedicate to URB, the split P pup is definitely going on mine. The tone just blew me away.

Congrats on the gig Mr.Mom! [smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]

A quick question, what for you was the hardest transitioning from electric to URB?
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Postby Mr. Mom » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:04 pm

Rhian Batson wrote:

A quick question, what for you was the hardest transitioning from electric to URB?

I'll let you know when I get to that point!!! [smilie=fun_84.gif]

Seriously, I don't know because I would not consider the "trasition" even close to complete. But, a few things I've learned coming from 'lectric:
--Get a bass from a reputible "bass store". Or a place that deals with and services uprights. IOW, pay the extra money to get a good bass that's properly set-up.
--Take lessons. I'm having a freakin' BLAST playing classical stuff. It's totally new and refreshing to play music I know nothing about and it's forcing me to ue my left hand properly.
--Have fun. 'Cause it is!
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby Mr. Mom » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:09 pm

Here I am, with the usual tongue-wagging facial pose trying not to play out of tune.

Poppin' The Cherry!!.jpg
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby pbassplayer » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:01 pm

a guy around here "implanted" a p/bass p/u in the fingerboard oh his bass..sound was o/k

ask this guy about p/u's and preamps.he is a good guy to deal w/ and is hip on that stuff
i'm sure you must have checked his site out..

http://www.gollihur.com/kkbass/basslink.html
pbassplayer

Postby Mr. Mom » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:33 am

pbassplayer wrote:ask this guy about p/u's and preamps.he is a good guy to deal w/ and is hip on that stuff
i'm sure you must have checked his site out..

http://www.gollihur.com/kkbass/basslink.html

Yuppers. Got my pickup from him and will probably get my pre from him, too.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Return to PERFORMANCE