7 Walkers

It's all about the stage, groove, recordings, events, videos, solos and chops right here.

7 Walkers

Postby ghiadub » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:55 am

I recently picked up 7 walkers. This new band features GPJ with Papa Mali, Bill Kreutzmann, and Matt Hubbard. Good stuff.

http://www.7walkers.com/
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Re: 7 Walkers

Postby ampig » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:24 am

oh yeah
Howard

"That's no surprise, kids are too cool for tort" - aussiemark
ampig

Links: http://myspace.com/delvers

Postby Mr. Mom » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:52 am

Cool stuff! Thanks for the heads up!! [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]

Side note: The Grateful Dead don't really get any respect in most of the musical circles I run in. I mean, yeah....They're sloppy and some of the live stuff is just freakin' horrible. BUT, some of that live stuff is just freakin' magical. And they had a vibe/philosophy that, IMO, no other band has come close to. The few articles I've read on the members make them seem like very down-to-earth, ordinary folks, which I like. They were unique and touched a lot of folks in a genuine way, which I also respect.

Plus, I really dig Hunter's songs and lyrics. Sort of like the Old West meets late 1960's hippy (Workingman's Dead).

Add to the mix many a good time listening to their music and I've got a soft spot for them in my heart, for sure.

I'm going to get this LP. (Yeah...I said "LP".)
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby Jerry » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:48 am

I haven't picked it up yet, but it's on my list. Didn't Reed Mathis from the Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey play most of the bass on the album? I love his playing too!

p.s. I dig the Grateful Dead. [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Postby ghiadub » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:04 pm

Yeah Jerry, Reed did play on the record too, as well as Willie Nelson.

I don't know any particulars cuz when I pick up an album, I really download it and just get the picture of the cover.

This band will be a monster if you can catch them live. I have seen Papa Mali with his band a few times. Add the jam style and then the funk (looks like GPJ is on tour with them next month) and it should be one hell of a show.

ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby Jerry » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:21 pm

I was bummed when Reed split from Jacob Fred, he was doing very interesting things on upright with them. As much as I dig having the CDs, I've been buying more downloads too, I'm always bummed about the lack of liner notes, the exception being the new live Marcus Miller that came with full liner notes on the download. A trend I hope to see more of.
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Postby bigfatbass » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:47 pm

Caught them a few weeks back at a little converted theater venue. WHAT a freakin' show! And a tip if you go see them somewhere, venue/space permitting, they all sit down in a row at the merch table and sign stuff at the end of the night.

I had my BABP t-shirt on, GPJ spotted me in the crowd, and threw me a huge smile. Had a nice chat with him afterwards. Still the same guy I met 25 years ago. Thunder on the bass, gentle as a lamb off the stage. Awesome to get to hear him and Billy really dig in and go for it in so many different directions. Instead of having to hold together a loose band, they were an equal part of the soling/experimentation. Epic show, one of the best I've seen in recent years. The CD is good, judging by the success of the tour, and the critical acclaim, I'm sure the second release will be even better! [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]
Last edited by bigfatbass on Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Time Is the river, eternity is the ocean, music is the water.
Play what you hear, hear what you play.
Trust your ears, serve your soul." ~Philip Toshio Sudo "Zen Guitar"

Viva Los Blancos!
http://www.casablancos.com
bigfatbass
Road Dog

Links: http://www.casablancos.com

Postby ampig » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:22 pm

The Grateful Dead don't really get any respect in most of the musical circles I run in

Most people who diss them musically have not really given them a honest listen. They have ventured into almost every musical style. The Dead have written some of the most intricate and creative music in rock, often working in odd time signatures. Check out Weather Report Suite or Slipknot. Phil lesh may not be one of the flashiest bassists but he's definitely one of the most creative. He avoids the root note more than anyone that I can think of while keeping his parts very melodic. You can criticize them for sloppiness, but having seen them many times I will say that was the exception and not the rule. What other rock band had the balls or musical intuition to move impromptu between multiple musical passages or to explore extended free improvisation? They laid some eggs but were also much farther out on the ledge than any of their peers.
Howard

ampig

Links: http://myspace.com/delvers

Postby Jerry » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:35 pm

ampig wrote:
They laid some eggs but were also much farther out on the ledge than any of their peers.

+1, people love to throw rocks at what they don't understand, sad to say but, musicians can be some of the first to throw those rocks. [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Postby ghiadub » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:16 pm

Jerry wrote:
ampig wrote:
They laid some eggs but were also much farther out on the ledge than any of their peers.

+1, people love to throw rocks at what they don't understand, sad to say but, musicians can be some of the first to throw those rocks. [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]

++1

"improvised melodic counterpoint so sophisticated you could describe it as a polar counter-melody that intersected with Garcia's lines both perpendicularly and tangentially via antimatter-driven wormholes leading through seventeen different dimensions" - Describing Phil's style

ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby SonicBlueJoe » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:47 pm

ghiadub wrote:++1

"improvised melodic counterpoint so sophisticated you could describe it as a polar counter-melody that intersected with Garcia's lines both perpendicularly and tangentially via antimatter-driven wormholes leading through seventeen different dimensions" - Describing Phil's style

+++1 Saw scores of shows myself, and the few off moments paled in comparison to the flow of magic. Greatly influenced by the entire living and breathing organism that they collectively created, in both my playing and my approach to interacting with other musicians.

And Hunter is one of the baddest ass lyricists to ever walk the earth, and is tremendously under-appreciated IMHO.
SonicBlueJoe

Links: Current Gig: http://www.badluckandtroubleweb.com/fr_home.cfm

Current Gear: Lakland Joe Osborn 5, Lakland Hollowbody, BABP LE G&L L1000, Bergantino IP310, Bergantino AE410, Aquilar DB680, Alembic F-1X, Genz Benz Streamliner 600

Postby Mr. Mom » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:46 am

Glad I'm not alone! Did not mean to hijack this thread, but my flea-on-ritalin-thought-process got the better of me.

Another side note: I have to admit that I'm not a Phil Lesh fan. And it's not his bass lines. I love his bass lines. I really don't dig his tone. The earlier Dead stuff I like his tone, but then later on (late 70's?) his tone seemed to change. Maybe it's just me? Don't know...

And a big +1 on the Dead being out there on the edge. Their brand of improvisation is unique to the world of pop music, IMO. And that includes "jazz". (Though my experience with jazz is very small. Think cocktail hour at a wedding.) The Dead were multiple beings working as a single entity. (Think a large school of fish and how they move as a single body.) In "jazz", the improvising entity is supported by the rest of the band. (It's be like a single fish ouot front leading the rest of the school.) In the Dead, everyone would seem to support everybody else simultaneously. If that makes sense?

Heh heh heh....I said "cock"...Heh heh heh
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby ampig » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:12 am

If that makes sense?

I don't understand a word you said
Howard

ampig