Different bass, different performance?

It's all about the stage, groove, recordings, events, videos, solos and chops right here.

Different bass, different performance?

Postby jfh2424 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:22 am

I am a die hard L2000 user, just love this kind of setup for several reasons. However, sometimes I have to deal with the old P for some gigs, I don't have a choice. For instance, I play in a Pink Floyd tribute band. I have to play the P, the L2000 sticks out like a sore thumb otherwise. Also, I was hired for a once a week blues jam night. I take the P because I got a few puzzled looks from the locals when they were handed one of my L2000s when it came their time to get down. Clearly, these folks prefer something straightforward.

The amazing thing that I found is that I really play different on different basses. It's like their personalities or specific strengths and weaknesses affect me and have an impact on my note choices, technique, etc. At first I thought it was just their sound. A P (in my book) is less versatile than an L2000, so I tend to be more "meat and potatoes" on it, I thought. But then I noticed that I play different when I play different basses, even if they are the same model. For instance, I own 4 L2000s and I really approach things differently based on which one I happen to be holding. This is especially true if I listen back to recorded stuff I have done. I can't deny it.

It is just a bit weird. I wonder if others here have the same experience or if I am a bit of an odd duck? I really thought that I played what the song requested, but now I also notice that I also unconsciously take into account the actual bass.

John
jfh2424

Re: Different bass, different performance?

Postby Jerry » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:27 pm

The reason I have a few different basses is what they pull out of me at different times. Same thing for rigs.
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Postby GonzoBass » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:51 am

Yep, different basses, different sounds, different inspiration.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer

Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple
Xavier Custom 6 String
Ibanez AEB10K Acoustic
Dean Rhapsody 8 String
Carvin BK2A Fretless
Gibson EB3 (Project)
Epiphone Newport EBS
Synsonic Half Scale
Fender Mandolin
A couple Flea Ukuleles
and a few guitars...

Rigs:
Small-
GK MB112 combo
Medium-
GK MB500
GK 2x10 Neo
Large-
GK 1001 Mark II 2x10 combo
GK 1x15 RBS

Effects:
Line 6 Bass POD XT Live
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer

Postby hoytbasses » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:28 am

ditto......... surprisingly, the amp settings don't change all that much for me. the electric upright and fretless gets a bit more mids but that's bout it.

Happy Sunday!
There's nothing Passive about Passive pickups!
hoytbasses

Postby Freddels » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:47 am

jfh2424 wrote: I take the P because I got a few puzzled looks from the locals when they were handed one of my L2000s when it came their time to get down. Clearly, these folks prefer something straightforward.

You mean they don't bring their own basses? I don't lend out my basses. [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Postby aussiemark » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:25 pm

jfh2424 wrote:I play in a Pink Floyd tribute band.

*hijack*

I did that a few years ago. Does your band have a website or Myspace I can check out?
aussiemark

Postby jfh2424 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:05 am

We don't have a myspace, but here is a Youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/v/fAw7l68H ... er&list=UL. It was done before I was in it, so it is another bassist.

About the jam night...sometimes people show up with their bass, sometimes they don't. Sometimes a guitarist will show up and want to play bass while someone else is playing guitar...it is rather weird. It is kinda cool when people show up with their own stuff, that way I can check it out. But otherwise, I have to bring my P and let other people play it. But I don't mind, it is a RW, do if it isn't in prestine condition, I really don't care. At least the place owns it's own amps, so I don"t have to drag mine out and worry about the speakers.

I have brought my L2000 on some nights and man, it simply blasts the other basses out of the room, in my opinion. It always raises eyebrows. That deep bottom just propels everything on top.

John
jfh2424

Postby Golem » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:26 pm

Freddels wrote:
jfh2424 wrote:
I take the P because I got a few puzzled looks from the locals when
they were handed one of my L2000s when it came their time to get
down. Clearly, these folks prefer something straightforward.

You mean they don't bring their own basses?
I don't lend out my basses. [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]

When I was hosting, I found a middle path, about lending my ax.

I would play some cool ax that you'd maybe wanna borrow. But I
also brought a Dano Longhorn [RI] with the action set kinda high.
If you were looking to borrow, you could play that one, or bum a
bass from some other attendee, but you couldn't borrow my good
player. The message of the Dano loaner was clear ... "You wanna
play a cool ax ? Then bring yer own !"

Acoarst, I was 'secretly' embarassed when some sooper player
kicked sooper buttski on the Dano ! But mostly I kept to my rule.
Ms Little Cutie with her 12lb Fender was an accurate, if not very
exciting player. So I lent her my Guild Pilot, a 7.5 lb needle neck
P-J. She put it on and stood about 3" taller than before, saying
"My Gaaawwd .... this thing just floats on me !" She still played
like a robot. IIRC she was a piano player. She was a capable and
well trained musician, but very mechanical, not a groovster.

`

New basses are red. Used basses are black.
- - ---- -- - --- - - - --- - ---- -- - - --- - -- - -

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby Jerry » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:38 pm

When I'm in a house band for a jam-night, I bring a decent bass. Most cats treat their basses better than I do. [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Postby ghiadub » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:49 pm

Good topic. I find that I play different with some basses for sure. Strings too. And take the frets off and I become a different player altogether.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby jfh2424 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:11 am

Interesting you mention fretless. I have been bringing mine to a country gig I have. It totally changed my perspective on playing country stuff. I guess I never thought of fretless in country before. But it is definately doable.

This country gig comes around about once a month. I have discovered that there is about a million ways to play a one five country pattern. I started holding the one note a little longer, than the five note a little longer, then shortening the five to let the snare plow through very loud...it never really ends. Throw fretless in there and man, the sky is the limit.

When I was younger and stupider, I really thought all this country stuff was easy and a waste of time. And I guess it is easy to do a crappy job at it. But when you decide you want it to be special, it is just as difficult as the other stuff. Funny how we are so brash and dumb when we are young! At least I was. My ego really got in the way of discovering stuff and learning.

John
jfh2424

Postby jfh2424 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:33 am

...and we just got fired from our regular once-a-month country gig. So I guess I will be working out my fretless country approach...somewhere else!

John
jfh2424

Return to PERFORMANCE