Tedeschi Trucks Band-Revelator

It's all about the stage, groove, recordings, events, videos, solos and chops right here.

Tedeschi Trucks Band-Revelator

Postby MickeyOne » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:10 am

The new cd is special, carefully crafted around Susan's vocals. Itunes has extended sampling and a great package including artwork, videos, bonus cuts, etc. If you liked the Warren Haynes cd.........
MickeyOne

Re: Tedeschi Trucks Band-Revelator

Postby Jerry » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:07 am

I love Revelator! Trucks guitar and Tedeschi's vocals are an awesome pairing, kinda like Jaco/Joni. Awesome band!
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Postby nolabass » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:49 am

Ah....beat me to it. I was gonna post several times and didn't. It grows on me daily. I'm a Bonnie Raitt fan and of course Allman Bros.....but I have history with both Susan and Derek.

When I left my old blues band in Atlanta Susan picked up the piano/harp player Paul Lindon and her bass player, Matt replaced me in that old band. She used to set in with us and we warmed up Derek when he was just a kid. they couldn't get him off the pinball machine to sound check. heh....Susan broke out just as i relocated to NOLA. Made me smile seeing my old buds back her up on Austin City Limits the first time.

Great album makes me reflect on Bonnies early days...... [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby Cheap Bass Tard » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:37 pm

I described Susan Tedeschi to an old roommate of mine as sort of a Bonnie Raitt voice but with better guitar skillz.

I like both artists individually, but together they just kill = the whole being greater than the sum of its parts and all that. Great album.

New KWS CD is next.
USACG J-bass, P-neck, Nordies w/3-band Aggie pre
Atkinson Custom J-bass, P-neck, Nordy Big Singles and 3-band pre.
GB Shuttle 9.0, Uberbass 410
Cheap Bass Tard

Postby aussiemark » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:47 pm

I saw them at a festival here at Easter, and I agree that Susan has a great voice and Trucks can play. The songwriter was good as well, but live I felt that there was a tendency for Trucks to "wank" a lot and for the (long) guitar solos to become the focal point, to the detriment of the songwriting and the overall package. I think I'll have a listen to the CD and see if the tunes work better in the studio.
aussiemark

Postby Jerry » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:05 pm

The songs on the studio album are shorter than they do them live, but I disagree about Trucks "wanking". To me, he has a huge musical vocabulary to draw from and he is a master of building a solo, it's a band with a LOT of true firepower, and it's nice to see that unleashed, at least live. IMHO and all that.
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Postby ghiadub » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:21 pm

Awesome CD. One of my favorite bands. I have been a Susan T fan for a long time.

She can play some slide as well, but not exactly like Derek. Derek is a master. Few players play with that much soul and feel IMO.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby GonzoBass » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:03 am

Worked at the Palace Theater when Derek's band played here a couple/few years back
and met Susan by asking to see her ticket when she wanted floor seating access
(Hell, I had no idea who she was! [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif] ).

Are they using the same "perma-grin" bass player guy?
Can't recall his name but he was solid!
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer

Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple
Xavier Custom 6 String
Ibanez AEB10K Acoustic
Dean Rhapsody 8 String
Carvin BK2A Fretless
Gibson EB3 (Project)
Epiphone Newport EBS
Synsonic Half Scale
Fender Mandolin
A couple Flea Ukuleles
and a few guitars...

Rigs:
Small-
GK MB112 combo
Medium-
GK MB500
GK 2x10 Neo
Large-
GK 1001 Mark II 2x10 combo
GK 1x15 RBS

Effects:
Line 6 Bass POD XT Live
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer

Postby Jerry » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:43 am

GonzoBass wrote:Worked at the Palace Theater when Derek's band played here a couple/few years back

That was Todd Smallie, Otiel Burbridge is the bassist for Tedeschi/Trucks and a very bad man. [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Postby MickeyOne » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:58 am

Jerry wrote:
GonzoBass wrote:Worked at the Palace Theater when Derek's band played here a couple/few years back

That was Todd Smallie, Otiel Burbridge is the bassist for Tedeschi/Trucks and a very bad man. [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]

Smallie is a guitarist's bassist and Oteil is a badassbassplayer's bassplayer! Oteil and his brother Kofi on organ really lay the groove down.
I am just getting into the album but it seems very carefully crafted in a positive way that few works of this kind are.
Derek is unusual in that he is a very organic player. In a strange way not unlike the original delta bluesmen.
Also itunes has very nice deluxe pkg with extras for $11.
MickeyOne

Postby randall » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:11 pm

I just picked it up, I love it. What a exceptional tone he gets from that slide guitar! I would like to know how it was recorded. A small amp I'm gonna guess. Susan's voice blows my hair back. And Mr Burbridge's playing I love so much! My kind of bass player, he doesn't overplay, he's solid and he gets from chord to chord in unpredictable paths. Kinda like I how sound. If I was a hell of a lot better!
06 Lakland Glaub w/ DS, 85 G&L SB-1, 94 Mexican P
G&K 800RB, Ampeg B-15, Peavey Micro Bass
randall

Return to PERFORMANCE