What are some good rocking blues/rock songs?

It's all about the stage, groove, recordings, events, videos, solos and chops right here.

Postby MoBeach » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:10 pm

I'm doing the unthinkable and starting up a cover band [smilie=fun_84.gif] with a friend to make a few bucks. Off the top of my head I picked After Midnight by E.C. Smoking Gun by Cray, I was grooving to the version of After Midnight 87 version with Nathan East on bass, that's a fun version to play! I was thinking Jeff Healey, SRV, what are some other rocking tunes along these lines?
Bye
MoBeach

Links: Custom Build P/J, ESP D6, Schecter C4, Yamaha RBX-A2 (E,A,D,G,C) Brice fretless 6er.
Gallien Krueger Fusion 550 head through Genz Benz cabs.

Re: What are some good rocking blues/rock songs?

Postby Rob Francis » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:38 am

Messin with the kid
Mustang Sally (Buddy Guy Version)
Rob Francis

Postby bigfatbass » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:36 am

Did the first response really suggest mustang sally? Really?

If I were to be starting a cover band right now, the last thing I would do is shoot for the lowest common denominator right out of the gate.

I guess I'm a bit jaded from so many years playing in bars, but my thought would be: "what are the other cover bands NOT playing?" not "what is every other cover band on earth playing every night?"

You want a call and response tune? How about "Don't Ya Just Know It" or "Bring It On Home To Me"?

Every band that plays Cray plays smoking gun. Why not go deeper? "Forecast Calls For Pain", "Nothing But A Woman", or "Strong Persuader"?

You have the entire spectrum of recorded music open to you at this point. Why aim for the same tired target as every other band?

If the music is well played/familiar people will dig it. Really.

Pick songs/set lists that will keep you inspired and playing. If you start the whole deal with a list of songs everybody has heard/played for decades you are mapping a short course to a tired band.

Another example of the angle I'd pick my songs from: Allman Bros? DON'T play One Way Out or Whipping Post or Statesboro Blues as your first choices. I'm not saying never play them, but learn another tune or two from the catalog first. Any drunk yelling Allman Brothers at you will be just as happy, if not happier, if you went into Black Hearted Woman, or Low Down Dirty Mean.

And a tip on a cover band related topic: Never announce who's tune you are about to play, and never introduce the band's original tune with an apology. "Hey we're gonna attempt one of our own tunes". That kinda shit is DEATH to a bar crowd. You just told everyone in the house "we think we suck, but bear with us while we half-assedly play something we think sucks for you". Play the thing you've written, and if they clap say thanks that was one of ours and start the next song. Another of your own if you got it!

In nearly every situation, in every bar, with every band, in front of every crowd, the best course of action at all times is: shut the fuck up and play.
"Time Is the river, eternity is the ocean, music is the water.
Play what you hear, hear what you play.
Trust your ears, serve your soul." ~Philip Toshio Sudo "Zen Guitar"

Viva Los Blancos!
http://www.casablancos.com
bigfatbass
Road Dog

Links: http://www.casablancos.com

Postby MoBeach » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:19 am

In my area there isn't very much blues/rock, there's either traditional blues which puts me to sleep, or top 40 rock which puts me to sleep. I don't think I can bring myself to do the Allman Bros. If I do it'll be very uncommon songs. The ultra repetitious Ramblin Man pretty much made me a non fan, plus we're a trio and won't be covering anything with multiple guitars, I see them as more of a southern rock band anyway.

I don't think people dislike common songs like Smoking Gun, I think it's all about how the band plays it. We will be adding our own dynamics to the songs rather than trying to nail them exact. We want our own identity first and foremost. All the top 40 rock/pop bands play the same exact songs with nothing special thrown in and it's a big pissing contest to see who can do them the best, that's one of the reasons I haven't been in a cover band since the mid 90's. I won't play the game! With that being said I haven't seen a band play Smoking Gun [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif] We picked blues/rock because it's NOT what everyone else is doing.
Bye
MoBeach

Links: Custom Build P/J, ESP D6, Schecter C4, Yamaha RBX-A2 (E,A,D,G,C) Brice fretless 6er.

Postby MoBeach » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:21 am

bigfatbass wrote:
And a tip on a cover band related topic: Never announce who's tune you are about to play, and never introduce the band's original tune with an apology. "Hey we're gonna attempt one of our own tunes". That kinda shit is DEATH to a bar crowd. You just told everyone in the house "we think we suck, but bear with us while we half-assedly play something we think sucks for you". Play the thing you've written, and if they clap say thanks that was one of ours and start the next song. Another of your own if you got it!

In nearly every situation, in every bar, with every band, in front of every crowd, the best course of action at all times is: shut the fuck up and play.

I didn't start playing yesterday [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif]
Bye
MoBeach

Postby Rob Francis » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:32 am

bigfatbass wrote:Did the first response really suggest mustang sally? Really?

LMAO Well I was goona say Wilson Picjett 6345789 as a troll but Sally just came out.
I am gonna nominate your last line for a memorable quote BFB [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
Rob Francis

Postby Jerry » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:39 am

In defense of a couple of previously mentioned songs. Ramblin' Man, nice bassline, Mustang Sally, easy to have in your canon and will get a tip jar overflowing when requested enough. IMHO
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Postby MoBeach » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:06 am

We need to avoid songs where multiple guitars are required.
Bye
MoBeach

Postby GonzoBass » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:21 am

Rob Francis wrote:Mustang Sally (Buddy Guy Version)

Mustang Sally (Hiram Bullock version)
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer

Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple
Xavier Custom 6 String
Ibanez AEB10K Acoustic
Dean Rhapsody 8 String
Carvin BK2A Fretless
Gibson EB3 (Project)
Epiphone Newport EBS
Synsonic Half Scale
Fender Mandolin
A couple Flea Ukuleles
and a few guitars...

Rigs:
Small-
GK MB112 combo
Medium-
GK MB500
GK 2x10 Neo
Large-
GK 1001 Mark II 2x10 combo
GK 1x15 RBS

Effects:
Line 6 Bass POD XT Live
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer

Postby harleyyy » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:00 am

When to play Mustang Sally...

"I try to keep 'Thou shalt not kill.' The rest of them I'm kind of shaky on." Willie Nelson
"Forget The Drama, Shut Up And Play." ME

Mr Meanor on Facebook
harleyyy
Host Of Your Forum

Links: http://badassbassplayers.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/BadAssBassPlayerscom
https://www.facebook.com/MrMeanorBand
http://wwwwww.tonewavetech.com

Postby ampig » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:12 am

Are you out to make money and get people dancing or satisfy your musical ego? If the former is your choice, Mustang Sally (which is overplayed to say the least)fills the dance floor and is often requested. Therefore it's almost a must play.

These all worked for my last band:
Every Time I Roll The Dice - Delbert Mclinton
The House Is Rockin- Stevie Ray Vaughan
Dixie Chicken - Little Feat
Givin' It Up For Your Love - Delbert McClinton
Knock On Wood - Eddie Floyd
Land of 1000 Dances - Wilson Pickett
Shaky Ground - Delbert Mclinton version
Tore Down - Freddie King
Barefootin - Robert Parker
Roadhouse Blues - The Doors
Keep Your Hands To Yourself - he Georgia Satellites
Howard

"That's no surprise, kids are too cool for tort" - aussiemark
ampig

Links: http://myspace.com/delvers

Postby GonzoBass » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:46 pm

Seger's "Old Time R&R"
Santana's "Smooth"
G n R's "Paradise City"...
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer

Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple
Xavier Custom 6 String
Ibanez AEB10K Acoustic
Dean Rhapsody 8 String
Carvin BK2A Fretless
Gibson EB3 (Project)
Epiphone Newport EBS
Synsonic Half Scale
Fender Mandolin
A couple Flea Ukuleles
and a few guitars...

Rigs:
Small-
GK MB112 combo
Medium-
GK MB500
GK 2x10 Neo
Large-
GK 1001 Mark II 2x10 combo
GK 1x15 RBS

Effects:
Line 6 Bass POD XT Live
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer

Postby El Tookay » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:47 pm

Blues Traveler- Travelin' Carolina Blues
Kenny Wayne Shepard- Born With A Broken heart
Stevie Ray Vaughan- Cold Shot
Black Crowes- Hard to Handle/ Jealous Again / pretty much everything......chicks dig Talks To Angels...
Humble Pie- 30 Days in the Hole
Detroit Wheels- Jenny Take A Ride ( or Long Neck Goose by Mitch Ryder and Detroit.... [smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif] )

........I'll think of some more.....
-Craig M./......mantra:-" StanleyGeddyOxStu JacoPinoRoccoDuck'n'Chuck"
El Tookay

Postby harleyyy » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:05 pm

El Tookay wrote:
Black Crowes- Hard to Handle/ Jealous Again / .

We do these with great dancer participation, and "Remedy".
"I try to keep 'Thou shalt not kill.' The rest of them I'm kind of shaky on." Willie Nelson
"Forget The Drama, Shut Up And Play." ME

Mr Meanor on Facebook
harleyyy
Host Of Your Forum

Links: http://badassbassplayers.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/BadAssBassPlayerscom
https://www.facebook.com/MrMeanorBand
http://wwwwww.tonewavetech.com

Postby ghiadub » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:15 pm

There are some great songs listed already, you also might try turning a popular song into a blues rocker.
I have heard fire and rain ( badlands) and I have always wanted to turn brown eyed girl into a minor key blues rocker.
I love to bend the rules.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Next

Return to PERFORMANCE