Neophytes Questions For The Veterans...

It's all about the stage, groove, recordings, events, videos, solos and chops right here.

Re: Neophytes Questions For The Veterans...

Postby 4strung61 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:04 pm

There are alot of good books and websites out there. The only problem is the teacher is not there to correct problems. bad habits are hard to break the longer you pick up bad habits the harder it is to break.
The best advise I can give is from my personal experience. If you have the means hire a good bass teacher to teach you one on one. Most lessons are about 40 bucks an hour once a week. Do your research and make sure they are a good teacher. I was fortunate to get a excellent teacher who also had 40 years of playing credentials playing with the best of the best. There is a difference between book smart and hands on smart. Learning to play should not be hard and complicated and should be fun. A good teacher will play along with you showing you the experience in playing in a real recording session.
I thought I knew alot playing over 20 years without any formal training intil I met a professional 1st call hollywood recording musician. I found I did not know much bit my cheek and set aside 20 years to start from scratch. Within 1 week I was playing a advanced bass Jazz Bossa Nova with the guitar player who played peter gunn and pink panther for mancini.
One week. A good teacher knows how to teach and get a student to play right away. He never told me it was advanced and did not waste time with all the technical mumbo jumbo. Only applied basic theory. If you want to get good dont make the same mistake I did and wait 20 years. there are good teachers out there. hope this helped.
4strung61

Postby moe monsarrat » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:46 am

Never leave anything you want to keep (wallet) backstage while you're working. It's not just about playing the right notes. It's about knowing when to end those notes.
"I-Mon drive de bus. Dem guitar players jus' ridin' in it!"
moe monsarrat

Links: Endorsers: Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
Bassist/Vocalist/Composer/ Producer
Stop The Truck-www.stopthetruck.com
The Mau Mau Chaplains-www.maumauchaplians.com
Freddy Powers-www.freddypowers.com
Sonny Throckmorton-just google him
The Lotions

Postby oneluckyguy » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:28 am

Firm believer in taking 6 months to 1 year of proper keyboard lessons. What this does for your ability to read both treble & bass clefs can't be described. Well okay, first cup of coffee and I can't think yet... worked wonders for me until my brain went south and a page of music now looks like a horse sneezed on a page o.o
"The validity of online quotes should always be questioned" - Abraham Lincoln
oneluckyguy

Links: www.zuperchicken.com

Previous

Return to PERFORMANCE