Neophytes Questions For The Veterans...

It's all about the stage, groove, recordings, events, videos, solos and chops right here.

Postby EricH » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:10 am

Play out as often as you can, with as many different players as you can.

Learn to play within styles that might not be your favorite, since this promotes learning, growth, and change.

Listen to everyone that plays. Try and take a little piece of what they have learned, and change it into something unique for your own playing.

Allow your heart and soul, instead of the opinions of others, to direct where your playing takes you to.

Remember that you NEVER reach the point of knowing it all. You will continue to learn and get better all your life.
EricH

Postby fdmundo » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:08 pm

Learn to read music. You'll get jobs that better -- non-reading -- players don't get, just because of this skill.

Stay physically and mentally healthy. Being a player is actually pretty hard work, and requires stamina and concentration.

Have fun. If you're not enjoying yourself onstage or in rehearsal, chances are your bandmates and/or the audience won't enjoy you either.

Dig everything. If there is a style of music that is popular, but you don't like it, try to find out what it is that others like about it, and what skills you need to develop in order to master playing bass in that style.

- steve
========================================================
Fin de Mundo Music Website: http://www.fin-de-mundo.com
The Fretful Bassist Blog: http://stevepinkston.blogspot.com/
========================================================
fdmundo

Re: Neophytes Questions For The Veterans...

Postby throckmorten » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:11 am

I'm out of my league here but I'll pass along a quote from Dave Holland that has stayed with me:

Play with people you don't like.

-- Not all the time, of course. And not just to be aggravating. But I see what he means. A challenge and a way to grow both personally and professionally.
EGAD!
throckmorten

Postby ReneGiust » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:43 am

Play with people you don't like. -- Not all the time, of course.

I got that covered...unfortunately...or maybe it's a good thing as Mr. Holland thinks.
Rene Giust

"When it's all said and done, P basses and cockroaches will roam the Earth." - Harleyyy
ReneGiust
Bouncer

Postby GLJeff » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:11 am

Play along with every cd and/or cassette you have,or the radio, even if that's not the style you plan on playing. This will open up your mind plus you'll learn different styles. Learn scales, chords, in minor and major, and later on learn the modes, learn the fretboard cold. I was gigging 2 years after starting cold. I play mostly progressive metal but musicians that watch me always comment that I throw in a lot of jazz scales as well as classical, latin, and some reggae. This comes from playing along to, and learning different styles in the past.

You can use all your tools in any style of music, and the more tools you have the better you will be. I would suggest taking lessons only if you'll stick to it. It'll seem boring at first but it's always worth it in the end. Focus on being solid, learning where all the notes are, and playing in time. The virtuoso stuff can come later.
GLJeff

Postby Armybass » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:48 am

Focus on being solid, learning where all the notes are, and playing in time. The virtuoso stuff can come later.

Excellent point. Very good advice indeed.
Armybass

Postby Lieutenant Dan » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:17 pm

Since I feel like I'm 'starting over' after a few years off, I feel like a neophyte and have been enjoying this thread very much.

I totally messed up on the GAS thing...I was a gearhound when I first started, and I admit it. My equipment was way better than I was. [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif] BUT, it was also MORE FUN to play on really good gear, I must say that. Both Gonzo and Pete have it right....ultimately all things in moderation. Until you're good, then you can spend thousands! [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]

I have good stuff now, but way downsized from my 'previous life.' A new Fender RB IV with flats, a SX 62 Jazz fretless copy with flats (it's real purdy and sounds warm), an Ashdown Perfect 10 practice amp (no giggable/jam-able amps yet until I find a reason...good on me!!!). And my two pedals from my 'previous life', a SansAmp Bass Driver DI and a Korg Toneworks pedal.

At my best, I was an intermediate player before the bottom fell out, so to speak. I have to crawl back up, but I'll get there. Being 40 with kids makes the whole time thing challenging, but I'll work on it. I wanna play!

As to playing with others, I did jam about a total of three times before where there were drums/guitars involved, and a few occasions with just a guitarist or two. I have never played in a real 'band' setting (creating my own music does not count). It's tough...I'm always very hard on myself for never being good enough to play with others. I could never play in front of you guys...I'd die from the embarrassment [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]
Lieutenant Dan

Postby groovyw53 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:11 am

Very nice thread here, I've been playing for only about 4 years so all the advice here is good.
I'm lucky to take lessons from a great bassist and teacher, he plays like 7 or 8 different instruments and he's a really cool guy. He makes me work on theory and reading as well as groove, improvisation and jamming. He also gives my phone number if anyone needs a bass player. [smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif]

I'm in a new band (my second) since last month so life is good. I have to work on playing different styles of music and technique/chops.

Luca
"Going to the jungle where the elephant roams
Got to get away gonna make it my home"
groovyw53

Postby TheCrane » Thu May 29, 2008 8:48 pm

Hey I have been playing for about 3 1/2 years now and for the first two i was taking lessons with a guy who taught me about scales, modes, progressions, chords, rhythm, and weird timing and stuff. I know a fair amount of theory on top of that as well from being a music geek in high school. For the first 2 years my growth as a bass player was exponential but then i went to college and i stopped my lessons with him and got a band in college. I continued lessons at school which was focused more on sight reading and classical type stuff we just ended this past semester going over some jazz, blues, and rhythm changes (i think thats what the genre was called). Since lessons with the new guy I feel like I have either digressed or plateaed in some way. I have recently gotten into motown and James Jamerson stuff all of which I am trying to learn by ear which i was better at when i was using my ear more often. However I am starting to fall back into my groove but to get down to the bottom line (no pun intended) do you guys have any recommendations to help me get past my plateau? It feels like I am right below that hair of a line which will put me higher and seperate me from all the other college wannabe rockstars. Any suggestions?

Thanks alot,
~Chris
TheCrane

Postby nolabass » Thu May 29, 2008 9:19 pm

Sometimes your brain needs time to process. Cognitave learning happens over time. Digest what you have chewed on. Learning curves rise and dip naturally. You may need a carrot. Something you can work towards that excites you. Solo project, off campus band, recording project....duos, trios...something. I was so overwhelmed with college requirements I just got burnt period. But one of the secrets of keeping a band together is keeping everyone focused on some goal. When there is no goal there is stagnation IMHO.
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby GonzoBass » Thu May 29, 2008 10:23 pm

Try a musical? [smilie=confused-smiley-013.gif]
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer

Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple
Xavier Custom 6 String
Ibanez AEB10K Acoustic
Dean Rhapsody 8 String
Carvin BK2A Fretless
Gibson EB3 (Project)
Epiphone Newport EBS
Synsonic Half Scale
Fender Mandolin
A couple Flea Ukuleles
and a few guitars...

Rigs:
Small-
GK MB112 combo
Medium-
GK MB500
GK 2x10 Neo
Large-
GK 1001 Mark II 2x10 combo
GK 1x15 RBS

Effects:
Line 6 Bass POD XT Live
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer

Postby Sloom » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:17 pm

TheCrane wrote: However I am starting to fall back into my groove but to get down to the bottom line (no pun intended) do you guys have any recommendations to help me get past my plateau? It feels like I am right below that hair of a line which will put me higher and seperate me from all the other college wannabe rockstars. Any suggestions?

Thanks alot,
~Chris

Nothing will kill you like a plateau. Best thing is to go ahead and allow yourself to walk around on that plateau, get to know it, get yourself nice and comfortable on it. Look down over the edge at your peers, dig the distance, the height you're seeing them from. Then, in a few weeks, after you go to your buddy's gig and he does something with his bass that brutally and un-apologetically puts you in your place, you'll realize there was no plateau, only a momentary respite (read: "illusion") of self-satisfaction, as tenuous as rice paper in the eye of a hurricane. [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]

Don't worry it, you'll get over the plateau thing and back to your own evolution. [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
"Whatever we do, it is what it is, and we do it".
-The Grubs.

Tad Lackluster's Soundcloud
Sloom

Links: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Novera ... 7439378..1

Postby Sloom » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:52 pm

Sloom wrote:
TheCrane wrote: However I am starting to fall back into my groove but to get down to the bottom line (no pun intended) do you guys have any recommendations to help me get past my plateau? It feels like I am right below that hair of a line which will put me higher and seperate me from all the other college wannabe rockstars. Any suggestions?

Thanks alot,
~Chris

Nothing will kill you like a plateau. Best thing is to go ahead and allow yourself to walk around on that plateau, get to know it, get yourself nice and comfortable on it. Look down over the edge at your peers, dig the distance, the height you're seeing them from. Then, in a few weeks, after you go to your buddy's gig and he does something with his bass that brutally and un-apologetically puts you in your place, you'll realize there was no plateau, only a momentary respite (read: "illusion") of self-satisfaction, as tenuous as rice paper in the eye of a hurricane. [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]

Don't worry it, you'll get over the plateau thing and back to your own evolution. [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]

Yeah boy... I can really be full of it! But did you get past it yet?
"Whatever we do, it is what it is, and we do it".
-The Grubs.

Tad Lackluster's Soundcloud
Sloom

Links: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Novera ... 7439378..1

Postby jfh2424 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:33 am

My advice to beginners is always the same. I can summarize it in two words:

Ed Friedland

His books are the best. Start with Building Walking Bass Lines and go from there.

I don't know of anything or anyone who can hip you to what is going on faster and cheaper than Ed. He doesn't cut corners so studying his stuff will make you as complet a musician as you wish to be.

I am a working musician today because of this guy's work, as I am not a very naturally talented musician. I would not have been able to do this myself, unlike some others who just kinda know stuff intuitively.

If you read this Ed, thanks again. I really appreciate it.

John
jfh2424

Postby GonzoBass » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:37 am

Agreed.

"Building Walking Bass Lines" changed my life!
[smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer

Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple