Playing in Drop D

It's all about the stage, groove, recordings, events, videos, solos and chops right here.

Playing in Drop D

Postby Cheap Bass Tard » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:58 am

This past Sunday we did a Switchfoot Song We Were Meant to Live in drop D. I had never played drop D before and have been balking at getting a D-tuner for my bass - but I was surprised at how easy it was.

I made it through the song with no mistakes. So off to shop around for a hipshot now...

so the moral of the story is: don't fear the drop D - it's really pretty easy

That is all.
USACG J-bass, P-neck, Nordies w/3-band Aggie pre
Atkinson Custom J-bass, P-neck, Nordy Big Singles and 3-band pre.
GB Shuttle 9.0, Uberbass 410
Cheap Bass Tard

Re: Playing in Drop D

Postby kennans » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:06 am

I live and die by the Hipshot. Saves me from the 5 string.

Be sure to lubricate the nut slot. Pencil lead works fine.
kennans
Road Dog

Postby GonzoBass » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:29 am

Hipshots?
Manring's got one on every tuner!

Best part of the drop D?
The one finger barre chord!
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer

Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple
Xavier Custom 6 String
Ibanez AEB10K Acoustic
Dean Rhapsody 8 String
Carvin BK2A Fretless
Gibson EB3 (Project)
Epiphone Newport EBS
Synsonic Half Scale
Fender Mandolin
A couple Flea Ukuleles
and a few guitars...

Rigs:
Small-
GK MB112 combo
Medium-
GK MB500
GK 2x10 Neo
Large-
GK 1001 Mark II 2x10 combo
GK 1x15 RBS

Effects:
Line 6 Bass POD XT Live
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer

Postby ~lightwaveryder~ » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:01 am

if you tweak the g string up to an a, you get D A D A open fifths tuning, which changes your note patterns and opens you up to all kinds of neat new note possibilities. And big one fret chords, which i always fret with all four fingers and whomp the s@!# out of it.

cheers

~lwr~
"The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff."

Dr Carl Sagan

~lightwaveryder~
~lightwaveryder~

Postby Golem » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:52 am

Cheap Bass Tard wrote:.......so the moral of the story is: don't fear the drop D - it's really pretty easy ......

OK I believe you, and I *still* don't want my neurons learning to play altered tuning.

I don't care what key the ax is in as long is it's in tune with itself. I happen to always play my long scale 4-strings tuned DGCF but have no problem when someone hands me an ax tuned EADG. My short scale 4-strings, and my 5-strings, are tuned [B]EADG, and my bari is EADGCF [notice that the pesky geetarish 3rd is not in there ... ].

Geetar and bass geetar players use so many weird tunings that horn and KB players would never attempt.

New basses are red. Used basses are black.
- - ---- -- - --- - - - --- - ---- -- - - --- - -- - -

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby oogie boogie » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:59 am

Occasionally, Mr. Manring will tune in 5ths from low C. That's classical tuning, like a cello but an octave lower. Of coure you may wany to try a different string set unless you have a carbon or carbon reinforced neck. Modulus, Zon, Steinbergers, no problems, but wood doesn't necessarily like the kind of torsion that a medium or heavier set of strings designed for five semi-tone differences in pitch/tension deliver. You'll end up with CGDA and the A will be kinda tight, while the C feels soft, unless you use say a .115. Actually the standard Light Top Heavy Bottom set should do you just fine. I know Rotosound used to do one like that for Mark King back in the day. Anyhow, 5ths are pretty crazy, but you can do really wide articulations really fast, as if jumping to the outside strings of a 6 quickly. Sweeps on a 5ths tuned axe sound awesome. I was even considering uning my 6 in 5th, but that might be a bit much to think about. Someday, I'm sure I will, but no time now...too many gigs. [smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif]
oogie boogie

Postby Floyd Eye » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:36 pm

I play a lot of stuff in Drop D. Maybe 45% of what we play actually. Technically I guess it's drop C# since we play in Eb. Never had a desire for a D tuna or whatever you call it. TU3 on my pedalboard and I can drop silently in a matter of 4 or 5 seconds.
Floyd Eye

Return to PERFORMANCE