Gibson SB300 Bridge

A choice, not an echo.

Gibson SB300 Bridge

Postby kid kilowatt » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:43 pm

Looking for a suggestion of where to find or how to replace or repair a bridge for a SB300. The plastic saddles on my have broken just due to age and does not appear the piece where the saddles are located was designed to just be replaced as opposed to repaired. Any thoughts or suggestions or anyone with one they are looking to part with?

Thanks here is the URL to a couple of differnt angles
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s139 ... angles.jpg
kid kilowatt

Postby drbassman » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:26 am

You can't buy the plastic saddles new. They were discontinued years ago. You have to make them yourself, buy some old ones or replace them with the metal saddles you typically see on Gibson bridges. The 300 style bridge you have is pretty rare. You typically see the other 2 or 3 point Gibson bridges on eBay, but I don't recall seeing your model even once in the last 3 years. Once in awhile, a 70's bridge with intact plastic saddles pops up on eBay, but that's about the only place you'll see them, but they aren't the same bridge as yours.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in......
drbassman

plastic saddles

Postby shadowcastaz » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:00 am

Saw some on 'bay this am!
shadowcastaz

Re: Gibson SB300 Bridge

Postby Tomicdawg » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:44 pm

I had 2 missing plastic saddles that I had replaced with using a pieces of metal, sounded ok,
but you could sure tell which two strings had the broken saddles.
I couldnt find any plastic saddles, so I decided on a new bridge.
I found an adjustable bridge that let me keep the 2 1/8th inch spacing instead of the normal 2 1/4.
It was Part# BB 3421-010 Bass Bridge, Chrome; over at allparts .com
Had that put on and ordered a set of short-scale flat wound strings and man she plays nice.
The bridge covers fits over the bridge and it looks nice. The new bridge sticks out the bottom, no big deal.
I am back in love with this bass. It's not the funk machine the Precsion or Jazz are but its great for just about anything else.
Attachments
GibsonSB300_1973.jpg
Tomicdawg

Postby Rob Francis » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:20 pm

You know unless I'm missing something, these don't look that difficult to make. You might try Woodcrafters for a woodworker's contact point. They'd just need to see the piece and know the size and thread count for the adjustment screws. On the other hand. . . the type of plastic used is apparently the deciding factor but if a more "slick" composition could do it it's worth a try.

Might also try pieces of rosewood or lexan, either would be pretty mellow compared to metal.
Good luck!
Rob
Rob Francis

Postby cdlynch » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:11 pm

I have an SB350 and found a Hipshot direct replacement for the 2 point bridge design:

http://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.p ... tail&p=326

I found it cheaper on ebay. It uses the existing mounting holes, mounts flush to the body, and has adjustable string spacing. If you're not opposed non-stock parts, at least you won't need to drill into the body!

I hope this helps, good luck.

-Chris
cdlynch

Return to GIBSON