77 Black Bird - come to poppa!

A choice, not an echo.

Re: 77 Black Bird - come to poppa!

Postby Nocturnal » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:18 am

My 2nd bass ever was a black 76 T-Bird. I've never stopped kicking myself over selling that one. I've got an 01 black Bird now that I love, but I wish I had held on to that 76. Enjoy your new bass and let us know how you like it when you get it.
Nocturnal

Postby steveonbass » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:02 am

Barklessdog wrote:
I'm always a bit apprehensive about buying instruments with no player wear

i totally agree, nothing worse than a minty vintage bass you have worry about getting scratches, vs one thats well worn, feels like home and if you scratch it the more the merrier

Actually, i meant that basses with no wear scare me because they are, more often, dogs than ones with the wear. IME, Played basses are OFTEN (i stress the word often) played for a reason. Same for unplayed ones.
peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Postby drbassman » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:13 am

I agree that some unplayed vintage basses are probably dogs and that's why they weren't played. While I also think some vintage basses were just well cared for or played very little for other very logical reasons. I take very good care of all of my basses and many of them will be looked at as overly nice for their age when I'm long gone. It's just because I respect my equipment and the investment and am diligent when playing them. Accidents can and do happen, but my basses will never exhibit extreme player wear becasue I am neither an extreme player or one who plays 2-3 gigs a week. I'm a "just for fun and charity" hacker and my basses show it! Frankly, unless you know the owner or owners, it's always a crapshoot!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in......
drbassman

Postby Bassilisk » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:22 am

This topic of minty vintage vs not seemed to begin when I mentioned my '78 was in 9+ condition and I didn't like it. I was actually very fortunate to get an example in this condition - a true closet classic, for whatever reason and representative of the RI's. I felt I got a great deal and Kebo thought it smoked. I on the other hand, did not care for the tone. I know there is a large contingent that love these Birds. Me, I'll take a new one any day. Now I've never tried a 60's NR or even the early Reverses (apparently those are the most desirable in terms of tone) so I can't make a comparison, but the one I had didn't do it for me. That's it. It certainly wasn't a dog and turned out to be a good investment.

I have to say it was a joy to behold though and I love the look of all that chrome. Like I said, different strokes.
http://www.risky-biz.com

Save the earth. It's the only planet with beer.
Bassilisk

Postby steveonbass » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:43 pm

It's here and all I can say is WOW! This bass screams and both pickups have strong even output - a sledgehammer. The neck and frets are great and there are no cracks or breaks of any kind.

The one thing I know little about is the 3 point bridge. This one is just about all the way down. Is this typical? what other questions does this raise? The truss nut looks like it's never been touched so I'm not anticipating any issues but I'll definitely have Jim Mouradian give her the once over to make sure all is kosher.

Olivias packed her as well as I've ever seen a bass packed. Damn this is one sexy bass.

Holy Crap, all I need now is a heavy rock band so I can actually play it out.
peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Postby Barklessdog » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:11 pm

From what I've heard the key is to adjust the Bridge, neck & pickups TOGETHER. George (Vette)knows about setting them up.

The fact that yours is high output means that someone set it up right. If set up improperly they can sound weak or anemic

Hipshot makes a direct replcement bad ass style bridge. Also when changing your strings be careful because the saddles are held in by the strings, so they can fall all over the floor if you pop a string!

Nice bass!
Barklessdog

Postby Barklessdog » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:16 pm

I on the other hand, did not care for the tone. I know there is a large contingent that love these Birds.

I find I like the tone of my Les Paul better. The maple top & ebony fretboard give the bass a more ballsey tone that cuts through the mix vs a Tbird which sits perfectly in the mix, but 70's ones sometimes have trouble cutting through. It's more a blending with the mix bass, which has it's place. A lot depends on your rig as well
Barklessdog

Postby steveonbass » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:50 pm

Barklessdog wrote:
I on the other hand, did not care for the tone. I know there is a large contingent that love these Birds.

I find I like the tone of my Les Paul better. The maple top & ebony fretboard give the bass a more ballsey tone that cuts through the mix vs a Tbird which sits perfectly in the mix, but 70's ones sometimes have trouble cutting through. It's more a blending with the mix bass, which has it's place. A lot depends on your rig as well

I didn't buy this bass as a be-all end-all. I bought it as an option. I have basses that cover pretty much everything. Frankly, IMO, Gibson only designed a couple good basses and even those have some pretty questionable design issues, I think it was more hit and miss than anything.

That all being said, I've played a lot of Birds and this is a very good one - very balanced even tone. I have no doubt that it will be heard clearly in a mix because it already has.

Oh, and it's black!

Keeper
peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Postby drbassman » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:44 am

Well, I played j basses for years and after I picked up my first T-Bird, I was hooked. I sold my j basses and have been expanding my TB collection ever since (about 3 years). It's all just a matter of taste and preference.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in......
drbassman

Postby harleyyy » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:51 am

Glad you dig it Steve, enjoy that sweet machine bro. [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
"I try to keep 'Thou shalt not kill.' The rest of them I'm kind of shaky on." Willie Nelson
"Forget The Drama, Shut Up And Play." ME

Mr Meanor on Facebook
harleyyy
Host Of Your Forum

Links: http://badassbassplayers.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/BadAssBassPlayerscom
https://www.facebook.com/MrMeanorBand
http://wwwwww.tonewavetech.com

Postby 69'Vette » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:10 pm

drbassman wrote:Welcome to the black TB club, I highly recommend them!!!

Damn, that's a nice looking bass there! ^^^ :)
69'Vette

Postby TBird1958 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:49 pm

Being a newbie on this forum I only stumbled across this thread I have a black '77 that I got from 69Vette, Mr George Carlston, its a wonderful bass, anymore its pretty much my "player" for shows. Mine is S/N 72557087, I've forgotten what all the date code numbers mean but it would appear the our two basses may have gone out the door the same day.
Attachments
77_Thunderbird_black_III.jpg
T'Bird playing Drag Queen, Fraulein Rommel if you please.
http://www.thenastyhabits.com
myspace.com/veronica...myspace.com/veronicasteed
TBird1958

Postby steveonbass » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:28 pm

Mine is S/N 72557087

Very close. Mine is 72557033.
peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Postby higher1 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:49 pm

same week anyway. I don't think they were producing 50 a day, were they?

nice axes guys. I know they shake the ground well!
http://www.higher1.net
It's all in the fingers... BOOM!
higher1
Global Bouncer

Postby TBird1958 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:33 pm

There's a website you can run the #'s at, I'd forgotten what they meant. Mine, 72557087 was made in Kalamazoo on Sept. 12, 1977 the first 7 is the year 255 is what day of that year, second 7 is the rest of the year. The last 3 digits represent its place in that day's production, Prismacolor's was #033 they must have been kicking 'em out the door at that point.
T'Bird playing Drag Queen, Fraulein Rommel if you please.
http://www.thenastyhabits.com
myspace.com/veronica...myspace.com/veronicasteed
TBird1958

PreviousNext

Return to GIBSON