EB-650?

A choice, not an echo.

EB-650?

Postby dukeplaysbass » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:39 am

Anyone here have any experience with this rare beast? Uwe?

Are they thick-bodied like the ES-175, say? What's the neck width? Tone sounds like _____________ eating a ____________..... [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif]

Any help appreciated.
Father Gino wrote:...back when men were men and basses had four strings.

Check out my site...
dukeplaysbass
Wunkay Wuver

Re: EB-650?

Postby drbassman » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:28 am

I've got a cherry red one from 1992. They only made them for a few years. It's 34" scale, all maple body and neck, semi-hollow body. It has passive T-Bird pickups that really rock. This is NOT a tame or mudbucking bass like an EB-2. I had to put flats on it to tame it down but it still has a lot of clarity and definition. It really kicks butt!

I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in......
drbassman

Postby 69'Vette » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:49 am

Thickness looks like an ES-175... Is it?
69'Vette

Postby drbassman » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:18 pm

69'Vette wrote:Thickness looks like an ES-175... Is it?

Yes, it's thin. The EB-750, even more rare, is the thicker bodied versio.
drbassman

Postby Mike » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:07 pm

Nice, nice, nice! I will add one of these to my own personal "want list." I just know it would sound killer with flats!

Mike
But the rainbow has a beard.

Models 1917 and 29 Man
Mike

Location: NYC State of Mind (In A Second Amendment Kinda Way)

Postby Ze Unknown K » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:59 am

EB-650 is 2 5/16", EB-750 is 3 6/16" - measured at lower cutaways.

Bill has said it all already in his description, all maple construction and the chrome TB Plus pups (who present prominent, but overdriven treble on a maple bass, they go better with warm mahogany to my ears) located pretty close to the bridge give this bass a hard edged sound. Not much acoustic note to it either due to the oversized sustainblock. It's more an angry Rickenbacker in sound than what you might expect from the looks - not really for your next unplugged session, but you can rock out with it no sweat.

The EB-750 sounds a lot mellower (though not really better) due to the mahogany neck and the more behaved Bart pups.

Uwe
Ze Unknown K

Postby drbassman » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:47 am

I have a lot of acoustic basses and I have trouble fitting this into my acoustic group/gigs because it is so aggressive sounding. My Gretsches and LP Signature are so much more reserved and thumpy. However, I do take it out once in awhile, adjust my EQ a bit and let it thunder away. In fact, I just realized that I haven't run it through my new Mesa Scout. We'll have to give that a test today!
drbassman

Postby radapaw » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:17 am

A clear bright sounding gibson eh...? Sounds like a good contrast for my EB-3 and its wallomud pickup :) Will the lust never cease! I'd LOVE to try out the 750.... if I ever even see one....

radapaw
http://bassunion.org
radapaw

Postby drbassman » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:01 am

Yep, the 650 and 750 are pretty rare. I don't know the actual numbers, but some gearhead out there probably has an idea how many were made. I'd love to have a 750 just for the fun of collecting it, not because it was a great bass. They are really a beautiful thing to see, at least in pictures!

drbassman

Postby radapaw » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:34 am

Yeah it's one of those basses that as much as I'd love to own, I'd feel lucky to even see in person...
radapaw

Postby Ze Unknown K » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:17 am

All of Herr Phil Jones' (nineties Gibson chief luthier) hollow creations can bee seen here: AB Super 400, EB-750 and - way in the back, just beside the Allen Woody pre-owned by no one less than Bill/Dr Bassman - the EB-650:

"but some gearhead out there probably has an idea how many were made ..."

I take issue with the term gearhead [smilie=smilie_kopf.gif] , lieber Bill, but the number circulated for the EB-750ies is something like 47. The EB-650ies can't have been more than a very few hundreds then.
Ze Unknown K

Postby drbassman » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:26 am

Ze Unknown Köllektör wrote:All of Herr Phil Jones' (nineties Gibson chief luthier) hollow creations can bee seen here: AB Super 400, EB-750 and - way in the back, just beside the Allen Woody pre-owned by no one less than Bill/Dr Bassman - the EB-650:

"but some gearhead out there probably has an idea how many were made ..."

I take issue with the term gearhead [smilie=smilie_kopf.gif] , lieber Bill, but the number circulated for the EB-750ies is something like 47. The EB-650ies can't have been more than a very few hundreds then.

Hey, you can't deny who you are, your pictures prove you are a gearhead, but only in the kindest of terms! [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif] It's nice to see my little Allen Woody sitting there next to all of those sweet Gibsons. It's in great company!

Thanks for the numbers Uwe. A couple hundred is probably pretty close sinced the market yawned at them in the 90's. Speaking of 650s, Good Guys music has a blue one for sale right now for over $4 grand. Think I'll keep mine a bit longer!!!
drbassman

Return to GIBSON