G3 Saga

A choice, not an echo.

G3 Saga

Postby godofthunder » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:08 pm

Back in '75 I worked all summer in a local reasturant doing dishes and prep work, it was not a fun job. I saved every penny to buy a new EB3. At the end of the summer I had $365.00 and I went to Benson's Music in Rochester NY And told Mike the owner to order me a brand new EB3. Long story short he talked me out of a EB3 and into a new G3 he had coming in. I went to pick it up a few weeks later, still in it's sealed carton, it was a big thrill laying down 365 bucks and being the first to pull it out of the case. Try as I might I never liked the bass and was sorely dissapointed I didn't get that EB3. After about 4-6 months I traded it for a Moserite, thats another story. Ever since the G3 has been a sore point for me. Maybe this will put it to rest. Just won on the bay for 565.00 Image
godofthunder

Re: G3 Saga

Postby drbassman » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:56 pm

Man, there's just no predicting the prices on these things! You got a good deal, again!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in......
drbassman

Postby shadowcastaz » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:58 pm

That is awesome! It looks like the one Im about to put on evilbay. I should have the bridge re chromed but Im not sure where to have it done and whether its worth the hassle. It also has a bad ground , which I do need to get after.
"life is too short to drink chitty wine!"
shadowcastaz

Postby godofthunder » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:47 am

"Man, there's just no predicting the prices on these things! You got a good deal, again!" I sat around all New Years day looking for a deal, I figured while many were nursing hangovers there might be a few bargains. I was chasing a '61 EB3 but the price got a little silly. Bill I'm a Scott I can't resist a bargain. ;)
Last edited by godofthunder on Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
godofthunder

Postby Ze Unknown K » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:01 am

Scott, I can't see you not liking it. It has more substance in sound than a Grabber (also more oomph in the fundamentals), is more present in the music than a Ripper (but not as gratingly "noisy" as a Grabber) - it has a certain Rickenbacker swagger to it and played with a pick is snappy, yet full.

You were young back then. Keep it this time - not another Mosrite please!!!

Uwe
Ze Unknown K

Postby drbassman » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:13 pm

godofthunder wrote:"Man, there's just no predicting the prices on these things! You got a good deal, again!" I sat around all New Years day looking for a deal, I figured while many were nursing hangovers there might be a few bargins. I was chasing a '61 EB3 but the price got a little silly. Bill I'm a Scott I can't resist a bargin. ;)

Aye, we Scotsmen are cut form the same cloth, or Tartan, eh? Most of my buys are bargains and I really enjoy that aspect of collecting. I also have a fair amount of German heritage, which keeps me grounded as well!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in......
drbassman

Postby evilLordJuju » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:42 pm

godofthunder wrote:Try as I might I never liked the bass

so what happened? Have you decided you might like it after all, or could you simply not resist a bargain? ... and that is a bargain
evilLordJuju

Postby godofthunder » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:09 pm

Jules it was a very long time ago and I was quite young as Uwe points out. Latley I have had a much greater appreciation of 70's Gibsons. Also I am riding my collection of fluff and buying mostly USA vintage basses. When I bought the G3 I really didn't give it a chance, my Traynor amp didn't make it sound like Jim Lea, hell I never even put Roto sounds on it, no wonder it sounded like crap to me. For quite a while I have been looking for one just like the one I traded all those years ago, call me sentimental. I only sold the early tort guard Ripper I just bought to finance a Hiwatt DR201 that once graced Slade's backline, as close to the grail as it gets for me !
godofthunder

Postby Ze Unknown K » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:29 am

"my Traynor amp didn't make it sound like Jim Lea, hell I never even put Roto sounds on it, no wonder it sounded like crap to me"

Errrm, quite right, that was a futile attempt if I've ever heard one! [smilie=smilie_kopf.gif] [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif] No G-3 will ever sound like Jim Lea, but you would have come darn closer to a Roger Glover Machine Head era or Chris Squire sound.

Uwe
Ze Unknown K

Postby godofthunder » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:26 pm

Uwe as much as I love to go on about Jim Lea my influences are not one dimensional. Both Roger and Chris were monster players when I was becoming aware of the bass and just what it could do outside it's traditional role. I remember the first time I heard Deep Purple's Live version of Smoke On The Water, I just could not believe the power when the bass came in and Roger's runs on the upper register, completley mind blowing. Same for Chris. You mean those 16th note runs in the FRONT of the mix are bass !? How could that be ? sounds nothing like my Hofner ! LOL I think way back then my amplification was not up the the task of producing the sound I wanted. Soon after the G3 I discovered Marshall bass amps and my sound started to reflect my influences. It is a combination I have relied on for years A good British tube amp (Marshall, Hiwatt, Sound City) and a Gibson bass.
godofthunder

Postby godofthunder » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:52 am

I'm tracking it and it is sitting on the truck waiting for delivery on the next business day. [smilie=angry-smiley-005.gif] Does Fedex deliver on Sat ?
godofthunder

Postby Nocturnal » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:16 am

I've received 2 basses from Fedex on Saturdays. Might just depend on the drivers in that region tho.
Nocturnal

Postby godofthunder » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:20 am

Oh boy being delivered today ! I can't wait ! Hope I can get it off the porch and into the herd before the missus sees it. [smilie=cool-smiley-027.gif]
godofthunder

Postby godofthunder » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:31 am

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Fedex left left me a little note, should get the bass today, bought an new set of Rotos to put on !
godofthunder

Postby Ze Unknown K » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:28 am

Before you frustrate yourself further, Scott: Regular long scale Rotos will possibly be too short for a G 3 due to its neck thru body mode (and unlike with a Ripper you can't string thru the bridge). It'll probably work if you remove some of the silk thread though.

Uwe

PS: Got the James Whild Lea "Therapy" solo CD. It's full of Slade musical references - if Noddy Holder sang on it (Jim Lea does and he has a nice tuneful voice, effecting many vocal changes, but he's no Noddy Holder) it would rank as the best, most coherent Slade album since Nobody's Fools. It's harmony and melody drenched, very catchy, has thoughtful lyrics and features Lea's idiosyncratic melody bass (he plays all instruments save for some horns and the occasional drums). It sounds surprisingly current. Oasis would kill for some of those songs
Ze Unknown K

Next

Return to GIBSON