OK guys, don't bother!!!

A choice, not an echo.

OK guys, don't bother!!!

Postby drbassman » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:07 am

While looking for some info on a Gibson bass, I came across this quote. I thought you guys would get a chuclke out of it!!!

Vintage Gibson Electric Bass Collectibility.

Generally speaking, Gibson doesn't have much of a reputation as an electric bass maker. Though the first electric Gibson bass introduced in 1953 (known as the EB-1) is interesting, it's not desirable to the player. The late fifties EB-2 and EB-6 are also interesting, but don't appeal widely to players. Likewise the Thunderbird II and IV basses are nice companions to the Firebird guitars, but again don't appeal to players. Because of this, the collectibility of Gibson basses is somewhat limited, especially when compared to Fender electric basses.
[smilie=smilie_kopf.gif]

I guess folks don't always update their sites based on current realities. Some things do change over time!

Here's the site. It has lots of good Gibson info, just some weird opinions on basses: http://www.provide.net/~cfh/gibson.html

Of course I'm biased and wouldn't dream of dropping a thousands of dollars on a vintage F*nD*r bass!!!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in......
drbassman

Re: OK guys, don't bother!!!

Postby godofthunder » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:11 am

A Fender guitar player must have written that. [smilie=smilie_kopf.gif]
godofthunder

Postby Mike » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:34 am

Well, I believe it! I snapped mine in two and tossed them in the garbage pile. I mean, if it's in the article it MUST be true, right?

Mike [smilie=icon_wink.gif] [smilie=icon_wink.gif]
But the rainbow has a beard.

Models 1917 and 29 Man
Mike

Location: NYC State of Mind (In A Second Amendment Kinda Way)

Postby godofthunder » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:42 am

So um Mike where do you live ? Are your garbage cans outside ?
godofthunder

Postby Barklessdog » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:59 am

That is a Gibson bass 70's to 80's mind set, when you could not give them away!
Barklessdog

Postby shadowcastaz » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:33 pm

AAHHHHH1.....to only go back in time [smilie=icon_rolleyes.gif]
"life is too short to drink chitty wine!"
shadowcastaz

Postby shadowcastaz » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:34 pm

AAHHHHH!.....to only go back in time [smilie=icon_rolleyes.gif]
"life is too short to drink chitty wine!"
shadowcastaz

Postby 69'Vette » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:26 pm

My Gibson bonafides should be evident by now so I don't think anyone will take this the wrong way, but I have to agree with the guys basic thrust -- relatively speaking --. Vintage Thunderbirds command a pretty steep premium these days, but nothing like the same year Precision or Jazz basses. Hell, I wish Gibsons were even less collectible. I could own a few more that way! As much as I love Gibson basses, they never have had the same popularity as Fenders and maybe even Rics (not to mention flavor of the week marks like BC Rich or Jackson/Charvelle in the 80's). Only the Thunderbird came close in the 80's and early 90's, thanks to Nikki Sixx, and maybe the EB series in the late 60's, early 70's. Fine by me, actually. That's probably even part of the appeal for me.
69'Vette

Postby deadbeat » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:12 pm

A few years ago I emailed Gibson asking about my '73 J50 acoustic guitar. I got an email back from the Gibson company historian, enclosing an article that basically said "they're crap, they're the wrong shape (square rather than round shouldered) and the bracing is bad. We try not to talk about them". So it wouldn't surprise me if that analysis of their basses came directly from Gibson.
deadbeat

Postby drbassman » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:16 pm

Well, collectability is in the eyes, and wallets, of the collectors. While same year vintage Fenders do bring more, I don't care for the look or sound. Not to mention the lack of originality in their design. I mean really, how may p or j basses doe we need? Just changing knobs or pickups hardly makes Fender a designing giant. And as for the nonsense that Gibson basses don't sound good, well, I've got a nice little stable of Gibbys that will rock p basses right off the stage. That being said, I do like the other brand somewhat as long as it's a slab body with a 51 or pre-80's pup. Just a matter of taste!
drbassman

Postby SKATE RAT » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:32 pm

good!let 'em think that. more for us.
ROCK N ROLL PIRATE,SKATE PUNK....'72 SB-450, '75 P-BASS, '76 RIPPER, '77 GRABBER3, '78 T-4O, '82 RIPPER, '92 LPB-1, RAT FUZZ & BAD ATTITUDE!
SKATE RAT

Postby drbassman » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:03 am

SKATE RAT wrote:good!let 'em think that. more for us.

I agree. I can't get enough Gibsons!
drbassman

Postby Brredstik » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:17 pm

I will never let my Gibson collection go...What a great part of ROCK history.
"Even though you think you may be able to, you can't rock with an amp that will sit on a chair."
Brredstik

Postby eb2 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:11 am

I too can see how when you compare to Fenders, then yeah, Gibsons are down there. The reality is that except for an uncracked original Tbird or early EB3, they are all still bargain bin. Ricks used to be dogs in the 80's too, but they took off in a way that Gibsons did not. I like the website, but the assesment is a little out of hand. A few years back, when old EB2s started to go over the $1k mark, Gruhn was still regularly selling them in the $500-750 range, and some people bought them just to resell them higher. Even he shook off his attitude and started to sell high. There is a strong enough demand, but not when you compare how older Fender and Rick basses have skyrocketed. Gibson bass prices are very simillar to say Jazzmasters and Jaguars, or non-reverse Firebird guitars. All were dogs - especially non reverse Firebirds - in the vintage market until very recently, and now they are pricey. But still nowhere near as high as the blue chips. Good for us of course, but not as good as it used to be.
eb2

Postby Mike » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:29 am

Actually, I went to my garbage pile and took the destroyed basses and burned the wood in my Vermont Castings wood stove. Boy that heat was warm.... I've melted down the metal to make folk jewelry...

Seriously, Gibsons have gone up a bit during the past few years, but they are still much more affordable than Fenders (OK, uncracked Birds can get a bit pricey). For the most part, they remain more or less affordable. Of course five years ago they were even cheaper, and as with all instruments we'll see more increases over the coming years.

Mike

PS Right you are about Gruhn. Now he wants sky-high prices for his Gibsons....
But the rainbow has a beard.

Models 1917 and 29 Man
Mike

Location: NYC State of Mind (In A Second Amendment Kinda Way)

Return to GIBSON