60's TB tailpiece repros

A choice, not an echo.

60's TB tailpiece repros

Postby drbassman » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:57 am

OK, I'm taking the leap and having some tail piece repros made at a shop where a good friend of mine works and can do this without it costing me a thousand bucks or more!!! It will be a good replica, much better/accurate than the aftermarket square one we see from overseas. They will be machined individually form stainless steel then chrome plated. I need to try and measure demand so I know about how many to make. Once finished, I'll advertise them in the Bad Ass "Gear For Sale" forum so they get their commission on this activity to support this site.

I am still looking into chrome platers locally, but I estimate I'll need to sell them for around $100 to cover my costs. If you'd be interested, let me know and how many you'd like. I should have a final word from my machinist by Friday. This could happen quickly if enough of us are interested.

Thanks!

I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in......
drbassman

Re: 60's TB tailpiece repros

Postby Mike » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:13 am

This sounds pretty good to me. Keep us posted and thanks for your efforts.

Mike
But the rainbow has a beard.

Models 1917 and 29 Man
Mike

Location: NYC State of Mind (In A Second Amendment Kinda Way)

Postby BigDaveOnBass » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:40 am

Would these be direct bolt ins on early 70's EB-3's, or is the bolt spacing different? [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]
I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can.
I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to everyone who will take it....
seek knowledge from those wiser....
and teach those who wish to learn from me.
~Duane Allman~
BigDaveOnBass

Postby drbassman » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:49 am

BigDaveOnBass wrote:Would these be direct bolt ins on early 70's EB-3's, or is the bolt spacing different? [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]

If you're needing the bridge, godofthunder (Scott) already has those bridges made up and available. I've got a couple and they are really nice. As for the spacing, let me know what your "center to center" stud spacing is on the EB-3 and we can check the bridge for you.

I'm working on the tailpiece below the bridge that the string ends fit into. Once done, the entire bridge/tailpiece assembly will be available.

Here's one of godofthunder's bridges on my NR restoration...........

drbassman

Postby godofthunder » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:10 pm

Thanks Bill for posting pictures of my bridge. "Intonation without modification" is my mantra. These bridges mount using the original mounting studs and requirer no modification of any kind to you vintage Thunderbird. They are machined from solid brass and nickel plated. I am proud to count Tom Peterson of Cheap Trick as customer and user of my bridge. They are $189.00 each and I would be happy to contribute 5% to BABP from each sale. Here is one on my NR Thunderbird II Image
godofthunder

Postby godofthunder » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:15 am

Oh yeah I'm in for 2-4 Thanks for getting this going Bill it has been on my list forever !
godofthunder

Postby drbassman » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:54 pm

OK, last call. If you want one or more, please let me know. Anyone else? I'm going to give the total to the shop on Monday and I don't intend to do one here and one there later down the road. It's too expensive to make singles as needed or 50 of them without a market for them. Ask for one while you can get it. They will be nickel plated, rather than chrome, so they'll look more authentic with an older aged bridge or one like Scott's. Price is $80 plus shipping. They will be ready in 2 weeks and I'll post pictures of the actual tailpiece wen they're ready.

Peace!
drbassman

Postby godofthunder » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:00 pm

Again Bill thanks for making this happen ! Helloooooooooooooo Gibsonites ! Wake up ! get your tail piece . Or forever hold your piece.
godofthunder

Postby BassVI » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:59 pm

You know I'm in for some!

S.
BassVI

Postby drbassman » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:36 pm

BassVI wrote:You know I'm in for some!

S.

Could you give me a number so I know how many to make? I'm only going to do one run of these.
drbassman

Postby shadowcastaz » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:20 pm

Ill take 1.
"life is too short to drink chitty wine!"
shadowcastaz

Postby drbassman » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:40 am

shadowcastaz wrote:Ill take 1.
OK, you're counted!
drbassman

Postby 69'Vette » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:34 pm

I'll take three. Do you have an original for them to use as a template? I could loan you one if you don't.
69'Vette

Postby godofthunder » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:08 pm

Thanks George my brother in law loaned us one off his '64
godofthunder

Postby drbassman » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:50 pm

69'Vette wrote:I'll take three. Do you have an original for them to use as a template? I could loan you one if you don't.

OK George, you're in!
drbassman

Next

Return to GIBSON