Houduh Thunket

A choice, not an echo.

Houduh Thunket

Postby Golem » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:54 am

`
I have NEVER owned nor intended to own a Gibson. Got 3 Epi's that been with me a few years, and had a couple other Epi's now gone, and then one enchanted evening [laznite] across a crowded room [Daddy's Junkie Music Store] I suddenly, well, here it is:

SG_Supreme.jpg

Well OK it's a stock shot, but y'know, all these blondies really *do* look alike ..... and speakin a that, I already knew that Gibson cases tend to feature "Interiors by Vict*ria's Seekrit" but all the pink satin linings I've seen over the years did not prepare me for a case lined in white bunny fur. I did not drool. I laffed my assoff. I immediately "archived" the case and threw the bass in the gigbag that moments ago [and hundreds of dollars ago] had held my trade-in.

Time to go put the TIJFs on and start breaking them in. BTW it's not so persnickity historically enriched as to be suffering from OGTP [Old Gibson Tuner Plague]. All the keys turn in the 'regular' directions :-)

`

New basses are red. Used basses are black.
- - ---- -- - --- - - - --- - ---- -- - - --- - -- - -

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Re: Houduh Thunket

Postby Rob Francis » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:00 pm

Sweet! Now all you need is a silver metal-flake Kustom to complete the package [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif]
Rob Francis

Postby Golem » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:01 am

Rob Francis wrote:Sweet! Now all you need is a silver metal-flake Kustom to complete the package [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif]
`

Silver Metal Flake ?

I was thinkin Tiger Striped Bunny Fur.

Really, *what* waaaaaaz I thinkin .........

Any advice from players of this genre? Specifically about the ergonomix. The up side is a great neck profile [for me], low weight and compact size. The down side, so far, is that this ax seems to be constantly practicing evasive maneuvers. I feel like I'm chasing the neck cuz the whole bass just doesn't wanna settle down and cooperate.

A larger standard-bodied bass with the strap hooked to the top horn just settles against my torso, or in my lap, and moves around pretty much only as I move it to play it or dance with it. This one just kinda boogies around on its own like some stoned out noodle-dancing deadhead. So, I'm trying to make a ballroom dance partner out of a noodle-dancer.

I love the sound [make that "sounds", very plural], the neck, the [lack of] size and weight, but I feel like I'm playing some restless critter that would rather be anywhere else than in my hands. I guess the best news would be a zillion players reporting that 'yeah, we all experienced sumpthin like that, and the problem just goes away by itself after a coupla weeks.'

`

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby deadbeat » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:15 am

Golem wrote: This one just kinda boogies around on its own like some stoned out noodle-dancing deadhead. So, I'm trying to make a ballroom dance partner out of a noodle-dancer.

I love the sound [make that "sounds", very plural], the neck, the [lack of] size and weight, but I feel like I'm playing some restless critter that would rather be anywhere else than in my hands. I guess the best news would be a zillion players reporting that 'yeah, we all experienced sumpthin like that, and the problem just goes away by itself after a coupla weeks.'

Can't give you good news unfortunately. That pretty accurately describes why I sold my Epi Elitist EB3.
deadbeat

Postby Golem » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:52 am

deadbeat wrote:
Golem wrote: This one just kinda boogies around on its own like some stoned out noodle-dancing deadhead. So, I'm trying to make a ballroom dance partner out of a noodle-dancer.

Can't give you good news unfortunately. That pretty accurately describes why I sold my Epi Elitist EB3.
`

Thanks for the heads up.

I know a few minor hardware tricks that might work, but I have so many little projects nagging at me right now that I didn't wanna start anymore until I just lived with this thing to see if the answer was just more playing time and forming new unconscious habits as a player. One hope is that since this is a shorter neck than your EB3, maybe just tying the strap to the headstock, like a folk gu*tar, will stabilize it. That would be quick and easy if it works.

`

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby eb2 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:17 am

My favorite solution for neck diving is a strap with either rough suede or something that will grab my shoulder. I had an old EB0 that liked to slip down, but I got this really nice wide leather strap that was unfinished leather on the inside. Problem solved, and it was kind of an oxblood color that looked nice with the old SG red.

Other things I have seen - honestly - was the addition of weight to the butt end of the guitar strap. In one case ( an old Gretsch Duo Jet ) a previous owner duck taped lead weights inside the body along the bottom of the guitar. It worked very well for balance, though for an SG you are not able to do that.

It has been many years, but I used to enjoy stopping into Daddy's. The Mass Ave store near where Wurli's moved used to have the best bargain basement stuff. I also liked the Norwood store. Nice memories.

Have fun with your new bass. Dark side, indeed.
eb2

Postby Golem » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:49 pm

`

I'm not really fighting neck dive. It's just general 'instability' [of the bass, not of the player ... ]. IOW, even if I converted it to headless and tuned it from the butt end, I'd still have a bass that doesn't wanna chill out and kick back, ergonomix-wise. Chill and kick in spades, soundwise.

BTW, tying to the headstock did not solve anything. But it's not about neck dive, it's about shape and just wanting the bass to 'get settled' like a normal bass does. Maybe all the curves are in the different places than I'm used to. Not wrong places, just different places. Or maybe *really* wrong places. Or maybe I'm just not adapting well. Time will tell. In the meantime I was just asking if anybody already ben dare dun dat, and so far, it's looking like bad news.

`

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby aussiemark » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:32 pm

I've not had the issues with long scale Gibsons that some people seem to parrot about them being neck heavy etc, but maybe I've got orang-utang length arms or something. For allegedly neck heavy basses, I've found two easy fixes - sling the bass a little lower, and/or use a neoprene "comfort strap" type of strap that won't slip on your shoulder once you've positioned the bass where you like it.
aussiemark

Postby Golem » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:14 am

`

Well OK so now I got one nite out with it. It's weird. It can be played comfortably at almost any neck angle other than the one I favor. I like my necks about 35 degr upward angled, a not uncommon thing, that.

The SG is most stable at about 60 or 70 degr upward, IOW, semi vertical. I have a coupla other basses that can hang well like that, and I really do like that position. Maybe I even like it best of all. But I never think of it as my 'usual' or 'favorite' since I have many basses and it's the rare ax that will hang and play comfortably near vertical. Now I've got one more :-)

Anywaze, it's cool for playing standing up, especially for such a light load [7.5 lb]. Sittin is requiring some adaptation on my part, since it's very stable with the neck near dead horizontal and the higher I lift it the more it gets to dancing around on its own. I'm just not used to playing with the neck down low like this, but if it doesn't kill my hand, it's a keeper.

Sound is even better in the Diva Duo [with electric piano] than the solo home practice sound. I won't describe it cuz it might change soon. The current strings are so soft that they're hard to play. But just like the ergonomix question of the whole bass, I'll leave the strings awhile to see if I adapt myself to them, cuz the present sound is cool if I can just get the strings under control [old TIJFs tuned DGCF = sloppy].

`
Last edited by Golem on Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby ampig » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:21 am

Beautiful bass. If that was a 34" scale I'd already own one.
Howard

"That's no surprise, kids are too cool for tort" - aussiemark
ampig

Links: http://myspace.com/delvers

Postby Golem » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:28 am

Golem wrote:`

Sound is even better in the Diva Duo [with electric piano] than the solo home practice sound. I won't describe it cuz it might change soon. The current strings are so soft that they're hard to play. But just like the ergonomix question of the whole bass, I'll leave the strings awhile to see if I adapt myself to them, cuz the present sound is cool if I can just get the strings under control [old TIJFs tuned DGCF = sloppy].

`

Update: Strings are now D'A Chromes. Minimal growl at the lowest end, no growl anywhere else, but there's incredible "whump" that the RW's were not delivering. Pardon my attempts at putting tone into text, but Whump + Sustain = Moan. Moan + Midrange = Wail. So thatz what I'm playing, Moan & Wail, plus some Whump for keeping time. Moan, Whump & Wail !! The amount of low end coming offa this ax is scary. Haven't gigged the new strings yet, gotta break 'em in, but I thuink I'm gonna hafta put a pad under my combo to decouple it from the floor. BTW, this is possibly the highest output bass I've ever played, and it's passive. Weirdness.

There's this little low cut/high pass knob on my amp and it's never before made any difference until it appraoched 11:00 o'clock on the knob, at which point you could hear it trimming off the bottom-most bass to limit boominess. By around 2:00 o'clock ALL the bass would be trimmed away, leaving a sort of midrangy thunk and twang. So, essentially, this knob was functional only from 11:00 to 1:00 o'clock. The SG puts out so much low end that way below 11:00 o'clock I can now easily hear changes in the amount of bass trimming, down to maybe 8:00 o'clock [7:00 would be the zero end of the knob].

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Caution. Sleep-deprived gearhead tonefreak cogitations to follow:]

While this is all very impressive from a passive bass, I'm thinking it really needs some active controls applied. I'm thinking a sweep parametic for that big bottom. I've got such a device [3 band sweepable] and I think finding the right frequency to bump somewheres in that big bottom, and the right frequency in the low-middle to spike for a harmonic complement that bottom bump and, well ... phat is it's own reward, right ? And this particular 3-band para-EQ does have a 2-way switch for each band, for selecting either a bump or a spike [wide or narrow 'Q'].

Y'know, I never gig really loud. Finding a way to produce a deep phat marshmallow bottom without moving a truckload of air to do it, thaz been a kinda Holy Grail. I really already get that from the SG without adding the para-EQ, but it's kinda lacking in focus and I'm hoping the para will address that. My gear is spread over 3 locations, so I gotta get this stuff to all the same place: the SG, the para-EQ, and the amp with the high-pass filter. Yowzuh!

`

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby Barklessdog » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:49 am

I find most Gibson basses except the RD lack that tight focused tone that Fenders have in Spades. Part is the Mahogany, hot humbuckers and Set neck.

I hear the G-3 is close to a Fender in that department.

You can't make a pig from a sow's ear!
Barklessdog

Postby Golem » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:23 pm

Barklessdog wrote:I find most Gibson basses except the RD lack that tight focused tone that Fenders have in Spades. Part is the Mahogany, hot humbuckers and Set neck. ........
`

Then it's gotta be the hot humbuckers. I've got an all hog PJ with passive EMGs, and it's not only focused, it's Fendy.

Oops. Nope. It's gotta be the set neck, cuz I got a hog bolt-on FL with ultra-mega-hot humbuggers [GnL MFDs], and it's not only focused, it's kissin cuzzin to my StingRays.

Clearly, tone is mostly voodoo. In the case of the SG, neck hugging humbugging voodoo.

I'm athinkin that the unfocused big bottom, that I'm wanting to focus, is all about the design and location of the neck PU, cuz the tone of the small minibugger bridge PU is in very snappy focus, almost like a StingRay but without the bark. The tone of the big mumbugga neck PU is all wooly and undefined, yet adds so much marshmallow bottom that I tend to dime it.

I want the marshmallow effect to be less smothering of the overall tone of this bass, so I'm thinking I can chop and channel it, shave a bit here and there to shape all that wooly stuff into a low end with some character to it. I'm not trying to get Fender tone from a Gibson. Just a bit of personalizing.

`
Last edited by Golem on Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby Barklessdog » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:56 pm

Thats why Billy Sheehan added one to his P bass originally, you mix the mud in or out and still have the crisp tone, but with woof

I found installing a Rio Grande Pit bull on my EB-0 project bass does this in single coil mode (push pull pot-It sounds a lot like Billy's Attitude. You can mix the pickups separately.

Barklessdog

Next

Return to GIBSON