Bridge Mods

A choice, not an echo.

Bridge Mods

Postby BluesBassPlayer » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:44 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... otohosting

Anyone know anything about this? Looks interesting.

Jimi
BluesBassPlayer

Re: Bridge Mods

Postby Bassilisk » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:31 am

I got one for my TBird and I do believe it enhanced the sustain and note clarity. Not night and day but a noticeable improvement (to me anyway). Also cool for those string brands that get the bottom windings a little long and might lay across the saddle itself - pushing the ball back helps. Again, it wasn't revolutionary but I feel it's an improvement. YMMV!
http://www.risky-biz.com

Save the earth. It's the only planet with beer.
Bassilisk

Postby JZumbro » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:32 pm

I have one on a Tbird and one on a Epi Rumblekat, and I like them. As was already mentioned it moves the silk off of the saddles on strings that have that problem. I also think it makes a slight difference in sound, in a positive way. The only drawback is that you lose the quick change ability.
JZumbro

Postby BluesBassPlayer » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:28 am

Thanks for the input. Is this the first post Golem hasn't answered? History in the making.

I ordered one for my Gibson SG Supreme. As for a quick change, I can't remember every breaking a bass string.

OTOH ever try to change strings on a Gibson (Warwick style bridge) with its two piece bridge.

Jimi
BluesBassPlayer

Postby Golem » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:09 am

BluesBassPlayer wrote:Thanks for the input. Is this the first post Golem hasn't answered? History in the making. ........
`

OK. Ok. I'm here ..... I can't see/access ebay. Doesn't bother me.

As to getting the silk offa the saddles, I fit tubular aluminum spacers {PC board spacers] over the strings to move the balls back from their usual location. This is a tiny crop from a pic taken for a different reason, but you can still see the idea. [It's a MM bridge]:

Spacers.jpg

`
Last edited by Golem on Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New basses are red. Used basses are black.
- - ---- -- - --- - - - --- - ---- -- - - --- - -- - -

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby BluesBassPlayer » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:27 pm

Golem, excellent idea.

Gary Willis suggests doing so to make the strings longer to help tension.

Jimi
BluesBassPlayer

Postby Golem » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:53 pm

BluesBassPlayer wrote:Golem, excellent idea.

Gary Willis suggests doing so to make the strings longer to help tension.

Jimi
`

I guess he's a smart dood :-)

Actually, I got the idea from GW's "101BassTips" book. I pretty sure I have now spent more on spacers than I did on the book [I have too many basses ... ]. I've always considered this one tip to have made the whole book worth having [for me].

BTW, choosing strings with no silk is not always a solution, since even without silk, you got that heavy winding wrap near the ball, about an inch, that isn't gonna bend properly over the saddle, especially a B or E string since the winding is heavy and the saddle is further back. You'll notice in my pic I only did the E and A strings. I spoze that is the reason for taper core strings.

The other benefit of the spacers is that it keeps the main windings from wrapping onto the tuner peg. Again especially important for the B or E string, since that tuner is nearest to the nut. Gibbies aren't too problematic, but Fenders [incl MM and GnL] have the peg way close to the nut. It's not just cuzza the inline tuners. Peaveys are inline, but the 1st peg is not so close. You'd think MM's with only 3 pegs inline could have beaten the problem, but the invisible hand of Leo keeps its grip [OOooohhh, kreeepie ... ].

`

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby fdmundo » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:47 pm

Hmm -- I may have been a little ahead of the curve, then. In the early '70s I was experimenting with ways to move the windings off the saddles of my EB-O. I was also using a mismatched set of nylon-tape short-scale strings on A-D-G, and a long scale nickel flat for the E. I used lengths of brass tubing similar to what's been shown here to extend the attachment point.

I don't have a really good picture of it, but I think you can see the "artistically" graduated lengths of tubing in this picture from 1971 or 1972:

BTW, that's Tom Bolton on drums and Dawayne Bailey on guitar.

- steve
========================================================
Fin de Mundo Music Website: http://www.fin-de-mundo.com
The Fretful Bassist Blog: http://stevepinkston.blogspot.com/
========================================================
fdmundo

Postby Golem » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:16 am

`

Necessity is the mother of Frank Zappa, or is it the other way around .... now where's my meds, dammit !!!

`

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby BluesBassPlayer » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:16 pm

I installed the mod bar yesterday. The wrap near the ball end now clears the saddle. Don't think I can really comment on sustain, but now the E string sits nicely in the saddle.

Jimi
BluesBassPlayer

Return to GIBSON