1960's reverse Thunderbird II & IV question

A choice, not an echo.

1960's reverse Thunderbird II & IV question

Postby Bionic-Joe » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:26 pm

I'm having an ongoing debate with some friends about 1960's Gibson Thunderbird II's and IV's. The question is: Is the neck pickup on the reverse thunderbirds the same distance from the fingerboard or is it different on the II's then on the IV's?? I've heard that on a II, the distance is 3 1/4" from the end of the fingerboard to the pickup, not the ring but the pickup. ON a IV, I've heard that it is 3". However...I have a buddy that has an original II, an Original IV qnd a refin IV and he claims that the measurement from the end of the fingerboard on all 3 is 3 1/4". The NON REVERSE basses are in the same position. I know also that these basses were not made by robots so either could be true. Anybody have any thoughts????? Thanks!
Bionic-Joe

Re: 1960's reverse Thunderbird II & IV question

Postby BCbassman » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:52 am

I have a '76 reissue Thunder bird IV and I would bet that the neck pickups are located in the same position. No other Gibson bass model that has a single and double pickup version in the same body style changes the neck pickup location when the second pickup is added. I cite the EB-0/ EB-3 and the EB-2/ EB-2D as examples.

Even though these basses were hand built, they had to use the same templates for routing pickup cavities and it doesn't make sense that there would be any variation when you have to fit pickguards and cover plates in the same locations.

This is just my take on it. I don't have two Thunderbirds to measure to know for sure.

I would be careful of somebody changing a TBII into a TBIV , but that wouldn't relocate the neck pickup now would it?

Bill
I once got a Valentine from a lesbian. It made me wonder if she wanted to start something or just compare notes.
BCbassman

Postby swood » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:59 am

I measured the pickups on all of my 64 T-Bird IV's, and on all of them the distance from the end of the fingerboard to the neck pickup cover was 3 1/4". ON my '76 re-issues, the distance was 3". I always thought that the pickups on the originals and the '76 reissues were in the same place, but obviously that's not true. I don't own any T-Bird II's, but I've posted elsewhere to see if we can get someone who does to measure the pickup placement.
swood

Postby DaveyG67 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:16 am

My '64 T-bird II measures 3&1/4" from fingerboard to pickup, as does my '67 Non-Rev IV, so there ya go. [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]
DaveyG67
Sacto Ho

Postby swood » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:35 pm

I re-posted this question on another board, and here's a reply from Uwe, a well-known Gibson bass fanatic:

On my 64 Rev II and my 65 Rev IV it is the same IIRC. But I'll get out a ruler and check!

PS: 3 1/4" it is. On both.

Question answered, I'd say!
swood

Return to GIBSON