Should I Do It?........SG Re-Issue / Done Pics Added!

A choice, not an echo.

Should I Do It?........SG Re-Issue / Done Pics Added!

Postby Laredo » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:53 pm

Man, my guy is killing me [smilie=smilie_kopf.gif] ........................I just got the Classic White Thunderbird, and now they want me to take their SG Reissue in Heritage Cherry. Again, the deal is very good ($899.00 new), but I never had a short scale bass. They look fun, are the SG's very practical?.............. [smilie=coz.gif]
Last edited by Laredo on Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YOU ARE NEVER TOO DEAD.......TO BE RESURRECTED!!!!
Laredo

Re: Should I Do It?........ / Version II

Postby BluesBassPlayer » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:27 pm

I recently got one, SG Supreme in natural. Way Cool. My price was $720 delivered from MF. It was crazy deal of the day and my VIP 20% off.
BluesBassPlayer

Postby Laredo » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:09 am

BluesBassPlayer wrote:I recently got one, SG Supreme in natural. Way Cool. My price was $720 delivered from MF. It was crazy deal of the day and my VIP 20% off.

Great Deal, I think I saw that one.............I should have acted upon it then! [smilie=smilie_kopf.gif]
Laredo

Postby Laredo » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:25 pm

Just tagged this one off of da bay...................... [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]
Attachments
IMG_0991.jpg
0846_1.jpg
Laredo

Re: Should I Do It?........SG Re-Issue / Done Pics Added!

Postby BluesBassPlayer » Fri May 16, 2008 12:08 pm

Laredo

Way cool bass. I'm gigging with my SG Supreme tonight. Quick question if I may. On the neck pup, do you feel the output on the E is a bit week. My A D G ring out and have high equal tone and volume, but the E is a bit lower and weaker. When I do the touch the pole pieces with a piece of metal, the bridge pup is way more louder and like most pups when hit . The neck pup is quite low in volume. I think I'm going to replace it.

Jimi
BluesBassPlayer

Postby Laredo » Fri May 16, 2008 10:50 pm

BluesBassPlayer wrote:Laredo

Way cool bass. I'm gigging with my SG Supreme tonight. Quick question if I may. On the neck pup, do you feel the output on the E is a bit week. My A D G ring out and have high equal tone and volume, but the E is a bit lower and weaker. When I do the touch the pole pieces with a piece of metal, the bridge pup is way more louder and like most pups when hit . The neck pup is quite low in volume. I think I'm going to replace it.

Jimi

I had not noticed anything like that yet, but I have not played with it much either............I traded a Telecaster for a new Heritage Cherry version, so now I have two! I will compare them when I have a chance and get back to you.............. [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]
Laredo

Postby Golem » Mon May 19, 2008 10:07 am

BluesBassPlayer wrote:Laredo

Jimi
`

Had mine out a week ago and thought the 'E' was a bit hotter than the rest. Might be just variations in strings from set to set or type to type. Mine has Chromes. I like to balance the PUs in favor of the bridge. I get my main volume from the bridge and dial up some extra cushy bottom from the neck, however much the tune needs.

I'd agree that the neck PU is less powerful but I wouldn't say "quite low" as you did. For my "dial-a-bottom" approach, it's kinda convenient that the neck is weaker than the bridge, but I've never thought it was so weak that it's some sort of defect. Are you gonna get a Model One replacement ? It's pretty hot compared to stock. I had a Kramer [metal] P-type with a Model One where the P-PU useta be. The only other ax I can recall being that screaming hot was my 78 Sabre, toggle switch style, northern ash body, maple FB. I don't know why it was called the Sabre. It shoulda been called the "Bunker Buster".

Anywayz, a Model One is No Joke. You been warned. Maybe in the neck hugger spot it will be less hot than in the P-spot, but expect it to be some degree of Jeckle and Hyde compared to the stock PU. The Model One was designed to "unmuddy" the all-hog version of our basses. With the maple cap, it might just come off as too hot.

`

New basses are red. Used basses are black.
- - ---- -- - --- - - - --- - ---- -- - - --- - -- - -

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby BluesBassPlayer » Tue May 20, 2008 12:49 pm

Golem

Thanks for replying. I too use the bridge pup and dial in some whump with the neck pup. Way to go!

I was thinking or getting another neck pup (Gibson), (not expensive on the bay) and compare the two. Then I can carve a hole with a screw driver in my P bass ala Billy Sheehan and put one in there.

Jimi
BluesBassPlayer

Postby Golem » Tue May 20, 2008 3:47 pm

BluesBassPlayer wrote:..... Then I can carve a hole with a screw driver in my P bass ala Billy Sheehan and put one in there.

Jimi
`

Then you gotta see this:

http://www.bassnw.com/Used%20Basses/fen ... 512314.htm

Mustang_M1.jpg
Mustang_M1.jpg (46.77 KiB) Viewed 1753 times

True to the the Vintage & Collectible Fender Tradition!
A major upgrade that results in a major price break.
Yagotta luvvit ;-)

`

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby Golem » Tue May 20, 2008 3:54 pm

`
Speakin of balancing string outputs on an SG .......

Anyone got any clue about the screws that look kinda like adjustable PU slugs ?

Gentle effort won't budge mine and I don't wanna use any more effort if I'm clueless ? Clues ? Anyone ??

TIA - Golem

`

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby BluesBassPlayer » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:59 pm

Golem wrote:`
Speakin of balancing string outputs on an SG .......

Anyone got any clue about the screws that look kinda like adjustable PU slugs ?

Gentle effort won't budge mine and I don't wanna use any more effort if I'm clueless ? Clues ? Anyone ??

TIA - Golem

`

My SG's pup screws are all easily adjusted. They are kinda too loose. I was thinking a drop of clear polish or lock tite to keep them in place.

Jimi
BluesBassPlayer

Postby GonzoBass » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:21 am

Just got a NOS neck pickup for the EB3
and all the screws adjust freely.

Could be yours are seized?
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer

Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple