Rotosounds on a Gibson SG Re-Issue?............

A choice, not an echo.

Rotosounds on a Gibson SG Re-Issue?............

Postby Laredo » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:49 pm

I was looking at getting some Rotosounds for my new Gibson SG. This is my first shorter scale bass............Does anyone know if the RS77S for 30" or the RS77M for 30"-32" works better? They claim it is a 30.5" scale...........I was thinking the 30" might still work? Thanks! [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]
YOU ARE NEVER TOO DEAD.......TO BE RESURRECTED!!!!
User avatar
Laredo
 
Location: Upstate, NY

Re: Rotosounds on a Gibson SG Re-Issue?............

Postby GonzoBass » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:48 am

I use to string my Gibson EB3 with Rotos,
(not sure which ones... this was a long time ago)
but I do remember that they ate up my frets.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Image

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
User avatar
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer
 
Location: Hilo, Hawaii
Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple
Xavier Custom 6 String
Ibanez AEB10K Acoustic
Dean Rhapsody 8 String
Carvin BK2A Fretless
Gibson EB3 (Project)
Epiphone Newport EBS
Synsonic Half Scale
Fender Mandolin
A couple Flea Ukuleles
and a few guitars...

Rigs:
Small-
GK MB112 combo
Medium-
GK MB500
GK 2x10 Neo
Large-
GK 1001 Mark II 2x10 combo
GK 1x15 RBS

Effects:
Line 6 Bass POD XT Live
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer

Re: Rotosounds on a Gibson SG Re-Issue?............

Postby Laredo » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:30 am

GonzoBass wrote:I use to string my Gibson EB3 with Rotos,
(not sure which ones... this was a long time ago)
but I do remember that they ate up my frets.


I don't think these will, they are the Monel Flats? [smilie=coz.gif] I just did not know whether I had to get the Medium Scale length, or if the Short Scale will do? Thanks!
YOU ARE NEVER TOO DEAD.......TO BE RESURRECTED!!!!
User avatar
Laredo
 
Location: Upstate, NY

Re: Rotosounds on a Gibson SG Re-Issue?............

Postby GonzoBass » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:43 am

Mmmm, yeah.
I was using rounds back then.
[smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif]

I think mine was a 32" scale.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Image

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
User avatar
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer
 
Location: Hilo, Hawaii
Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple
Xavier Custom 6 String
Ibanez AEB10K Acoustic
Dean Rhapsody 8 String
Carvin BK2A Fretless
Gibson EB3 (Project)
Epiphone Newport EBS
Synsonic Half Scale
Fender Mandolin
A couple Flea Ukuleles
and a few guitars...

Rigs:
Small-
GK MB112 combo
Medium-
GK MB500
GK 2x10 Neo
Large-
GK 1001 Mark II 2x10 combo
GK 1x15 RBS

Effects:
Line 6 Bass POD XT Live
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer

Re: Rotosounds on a Gibson SG Re-Issue?............

Postby Golem » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:36 am

`

Compared to many other basses, the Gibson bridge puts the ball anchors fairly close to the saddles, and the travel range for the saddles is minimal, so there's no need to get the medium. The extra half inch is meaningless unless you have amazing precicision muscle memory, usually play a Les Paul Geetar, and are being extremely anal about having mathematically consistent scales. IOW, it's a short scale bass so get short scale strings.

Gibson likes to gently hype that extra half inch as a Gisonesque identity thing, cuzza the "Less Paul Scale" fret spacing. But in the real world, that half inch is meaningless. There are very few actual medium scale basses on the planet. Most meduim scale string sets actually wind up on short scale basses that need medium scale strings due to their floating bridges and trapeze tailpieces, a design that uses up a lot of wound string length behind the bridge, even tho the nut to bridge scale is only 30 inches.

`

New basses are red. Used basses are black.
- - ---- -- - --- - - - --- - ---- -- - - --- - -- - -

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
User avatar
Golem
 

Re: Rotosounds on a Gibson SG Re-Issue?............

Postby Laredo » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:53 am

Golem wrote:`

Compared to many other basses, the Gibson bridge puts the ball anchors fairly close to the saddles, and the travel range for the saddles is minimal, so there's no need to get the medium. The extra half inch is meaningless unless you have amazing precicision muscle memory, usually play a Les Paul Geetar, and are being extremely anal about having mathematically consistent scales. IOW, it's a short scale bass so get short scale strings.

Gibson likes to gently hype that extra half inch as a Gisonesque identity thing, cuzza the "Less Paul Scale" fret spacing. But in the real world, that half inch is meaningless. There are very few actual medium scale basses on the planet. Most meduim scale string sets actually wind up on short scale basses that need medium scale strings due to their floating bridges and trapeze tailpieces, a design that uses up a lot of wound string length behind the bridge, even tho the nut to bridge scale is only 30 inches.

`


WOW! [smilie=icon_eek.gif].............Very in depth, and appreciated! [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif] I know exactly what you mean about some brideges taking up more of the string than others. The Gibson does not really look to have that much length in the bridge area, I was just worried about the cloth (string) wrapping not making it past the nut. That is why I was considering the medium length strings...............If the GIbsons were a "string through" body design, the medium scale strings would be the only choice. Thank you! [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]
YOU ARE NEVER TOO DEAD.......TO BE RESURRECTED!!!!
User avatar
Laredo
 
Location: Upstate, NY

Re: Rotosounds on a Gibson SG Re-Issue?............

Postby Golem » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:32 am

Laredo wrote: ........., I was just worried about the cloth (string) wrapping not making it past the nut. That is why I was considering the medium length strings...............If the GIbsons were a "string through" body design, the medium scale strings would be the only choice. Thank you! [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]
`

With a Gibby, the the thing to worry more about is whether you'll wind up with silk wrap on the bridge saddles. Even strings with no silk at the ball end can still be trouble, cuz you want flexible windings on the saddle, not that extra stiff segment that's nearest the ball with all that extra wire wrapping that won't arch over the saddle. [Even if you could hammer it into shape to ride the saddle, the stiff part on the playing side of the saddle would fuggup everything].

Y'know, I really dig my SG bass and a coupla Epi's, but in general Gibby basses are NOT the most well-thought-out products, and the three-point bridge is a prime example. The Gibby aversion to fairly normal top horns [for good balance and decent reach] is another flagrant design flaw. Coarst, waddya speck from the T-Bird company anywayz ...... *sigh*

I use spacers to pull the balls back from the bridge thus keeping the silk etc offa the saddles. I recall doing a touch of Dremel [free hand] grinding to get the bridge to accept the spacers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW, you prolly wouldn't want to add string-thru to a bass with a three-point bridge. It could be accomodated of course, but in it's current config, the main benefit is that you can adjust action height at the bridge without even having to retune. The whole thing can rise or fall without changing the string tension ..... if the posts are well greased and you have a Herculean grip on your dime :-) String-thru would also cancel the secondary benefit, which is the quick change stringing.

OTOH, if you don't mess with your setup adjustments very often, and you don't keep changing strings, then a conversion to string-thru would put some serious downforce on the body via the bridge, and that MAY do great things tone-wise [or not]. And yes it could bump you up to medium scale strings, which come in even fewer varieties than short scale :-(

BTW2. Short scale Thomastiks are actually medium scale. Don't overlook that TI is Austrian. To the Viennese mind, a "short scale" or "30 inch" bass is gonna be a true archtop, with floating bridge and long trapeze tail. So they make what we would call a "medium scale" set and label it "short scale" cuz they figger it goes on what they consider to be the typical short scale ax [a Hoffner, etc].

`

New basses are red. Used basses are black.
- - ---- -- - --- - - - --- - ---- -- - - --- - -- - -

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
User avatar
Golem
 

Re: Rotosounds on a Gibson SG Re-Issue?............

Postby Laredo » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:39 pm

Golem wrote:
Laredo wrote: ........., I was just worried about the cloth (string) wrapping not making it past the nut. That is why I was considering the medium length strings...............If the GIbsons were a "string through" body design, the medium scale strings would be the only choice. Thank you! [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]
`

With a Gibby, the the thing to worry more about is whether you'll wind up with silk wrap on the bridge saddles. Even strings with no silk at the ball end can still be trouble, cuz you want flexible windings on the saddle, not that extra stiff segment that's nearest the ball with all that extra wire wrapping that won't arch over the saddle. [Even if you could hammer it into shape to ride the saddle, the stiff part on the playing side of the saddle would fuggup everything].

Y'know, I really dig my SG bass and a coupla Epi's, but in general Gibby basses are NOT the most well-thought-out products, and the three-point bridge is a prime example. The Gibby aversion to fairly normal top horns [for good balance and decent reach] is another flagrant design flaw. Coarst, waddya speck from the T-Bird company anywayz ...... *sigh*

I use spacers to pull the balls back from the bridge thus keeping the silk etc offa the saddles. I recall doing a touch of Dremel [free hand] grinding to get the bridge to accept the spacers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW, you prolly wouldn't want to add string-thru to a bass with a three-point bridge. It could be accomodated of course, but in it's current config, the main benefit is that you can adjust action height at the bridge without even having to retune. The whole thing can rise or fall without changing the string tension ..... if the posts are well greased and you have a Herculean grip on your dime :-) String-thru would also cancel the secondary benefit, which is the quick change stringing.

OTOH, if you don't mess with your setup adjustments very often, and you don't keep changing strings, then a conversion to string-thru would put some serious downforce on the body via the bridge, and that MAY do great things tone-wise [or not]. And yes it could bump you up to medium scale strings, which come in even fewer varieties than short scale :-(

BTW2. Short scale Thomastiks are actually medium scale. Don't overlook that TI is Austrian. To the Viennese mind, a "short scale" or "30 inch" bass is gonna be a true archtop, with floating bridge and long trapeze tail. So they make what we would call a "medium scale" set and label it "short scale" cuz they figger it goes on what they consider to be the typical short scale ax [a Hoffner, etc].

`


Trying to process...............Does not compute, mind on overload!!!! blur_smilie Too much info for one thread and one small mind. [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif] All kidding aside, it is very good information, and thanks again for your insight! [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]
YOU ARE NEVER TOO DEAD.......TO BE RESURRECTED!!!!
User avatar
Laredo
 
Location: Upstate, NY

Re: Rotosounds on a Gibson SG Re-Issue?............

Postby Laredo » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:56 pm

FWIW,

I have finally answered my own question, with a little help form Tom A [smilie=icon_wink.gif], maybe I can help some one else out there.............When using Rotosound strings on the Gibson SG Re-Issue basses (30.5" scale), it is better to use the Short scale (30") strings, rather than the Medium scale (32"). Even though the scale length is more than 30" on the SG Bass, the Bridge is so short to the saddle, that the Medium length strings are too long.................Now, I've got to string both my SG's with Monel Flats! [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]
YOU ARE NEVER TOO DEAD.......TO BE RESURRECTED!!!!
User avatar
Laredo
 
Location: Upstate, NY


Return to GIBSON



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron