New WAL production - update

Electric Wood

New WAL production - update

Postby chrisfbass » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:14 am

Ok guys: here is an update on new WAL production. It is happening but Slow.

Last autumn Pete introduced me to my “New Friend” in High Wycombe at the time when Pete shipped his woodworking machines to my New Friends workshop. Both of them were keen that the legacy of Wal continue and my NF was keen to preserve all aspects of WALS (custom built bridges, pickups and circuit boards etc.)

Several aspects need to come together: the easier ones being the investment in parts, followed by taking on of extra labour within NF’s existing business, followed by bringing the old machinery up to current H&S standards.
NF will also want to cost out the whole thing and come up with a new pricelist. Do not expect cheap.

But firstly NF has to agree the legal stuff with Pete and his silent partner. This bit seems to be taking time. (I do not think there is any particular stumbling block – it is more about communication and telephone calls!)

It was great to speak to NF who is very happy for me to call him at any time; however he would prefer that I do not pre-empt anything by giving out his name and number. So please don’t ask. He did however recommend that any servicing on Custom WALS can be done in the UK at Charlie Chandler’s Guitar Experience. You can look them up at http://www.guitar-xperience.com/onlinestore/ . Spare parts are a major problem for older Pro series. There are no pcbs, no transistors, no scratchplates. Bridge parts are on hold until Custom bits are up to speed. Volume and tone pots. are standard RS type spares.

I have read various postings about back orders etc. My best guess that other than the 10 guitar necks that Pete started in September 2006, all other names will be contacted to see if they are still wish to continue. My guess is that only a hand full will want to.
chrisfbass

Re: New WAL production - update

Postby bbocaner » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:33 pm

Thanks for the news, Chris!!
bbocaner

Postby hippiesandwich » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:38 pm

chrisfbass wrote: My best guess that other than the 10 guitar necks that Pete started in September 2006, all other names will be contacted to see if they are still wish to continue. My guess is that only a hand full will want to.

Because of the price increase, the wait, or both?
Looser is the opposite of tighter, not winner.
hippiesandwich
Bouncer

Postby bejahu » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:20 am

This is good news. I am happy to hear that the Wal brand will continue. I'm not surprised about the potential for a steep price increase. Pete's prices were far below where they should have been.

Ben
bejahu

Postby walwear » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:41 pm

Yes Chris, thanks very much for the update. Not sure where that leaves me...just this side of hope, I suppose...but I'm glad to hear that there is some forward progress. Look forward to hearing more details as the information is declassified.

Erik
walwear

Postby Hiperi0n » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:49 pm

Yep..that is a very good news! i'm glad the brand will continue....i really hope they will accept soon new orders..i will love a Wal customized with my choices!
Hiperi0n

Return to WAL